AT&T will be the first to launch Samsung's Galaxy Camera in the US

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Samsung’s Galaxy Camera surfaced a couple of months ago during IFA 2012. At the time, it was unclear if the device would ever rival Nikon’s Android-powered Coolpix S800c on US soil but we’ve now learned that at least one carrier will soon be adding the camera to their wireless catalog.

AT&T will be the first wireless provider to offer the Galaxy Camera with a 4G (non-LTE, unfortunately) data plan. We still don’t know how much Samsung plans to charge for the Galaxy Camera nor do we have any idea what sort of subsidy the wireless carrier will provide customers. AT&T’s press release indicates they will address pricing when the camera is released in the coming weeks.

samsung att galaxy camera

If you aren’t up to speed, the 10.7-ounce Galaxy Camera marries a point-and-shoot camera with what’s essentially a modern smartphone – sans voice communication. Specifications include a 21x optical zoom with F/2.8 maximum aperture and a 16-megapixel BSI CMOS sensor featuring an ISO range from 100 to 3,200.

The 4.8-inch HD Super Clear LCD touch screen operates at 1,280 x 720. Powering the camera is a quad-core 1GHz processor (initially thought to be clocked at 1.4GHz) and 8GB of internal storage (expandable via SD card slot) – all running Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. 3G/4G and Wi-Fi radios will allow users to share photos on social networks and other online destinations on the go.

I think this is one of the more fascinating devices to launch this year although I’ll have to reserve final judgment until after pricing is released. Also, one has to assume that the camera would resize photos before sharing them online. Otherwise, you could eat through a data plan in no time flat. Depending on the complexity of the image, a single file could be up to 8MB or larger in size.

Permalink to story.

What's going on with other carriers? AT&T seems to be getting all the latest and greatest smartphones/devices; from releasing the first LTE Galaxy SII variant, being the only carrier carrying the bootloader-unlocked (and red) Galaxy SIII, announcing the exclusivity of the new Lumia 920, exclusively carrying the Galaxy Note series, and now this.

I am currently with them, and I'm happy with their service, but I can't help but feel uneasy at the fact that other major carriers seem to be rather comfortable in their respective positions.

There's no "race" no more to have the latest and greatest. This in turn stifles competition and it bothers me.

If its a pocket camera even with android os will be hard to compare with the normal cameras the F/2.0 or even f/1.8 its a must

This looks to be good for journalists and heavy social network users. But for someone like me, I'd rather have a DSLR.

Kind Of Interesting Thing haa.....waiting for a review.....I personally used my canon dslr and olympus PS..but thing is a beautiful product than those..but the performance??

If only this didn't cost $600 without contract I would get one, it looks awesome though.

Back