AT&T will hold exclusive rights to the Nokia Lumia 920 for six months

Shawn Knight

Staff member

We’ve known that AT&T would have exclusive rights to the Nokia Lumia 920 in the US for some time now but just how long that exclusivity would last has remained a mystery - until now. The latest news indicates the smartphone will remain an AT&T-only product for six months before being made available to other carriers.

WPCentral got their hands on a couple of purported AT&T training videos for the upcoming Windows Phone 8 handset. Highlighted in the footage are a few notable features like wireless charging, Nokia City Lens and Tap + Send using NFC technology. It’s in one of these clips, however, that we find the six month exclusive claim.

nokia lumia nokia att nokia lumia 920 exclusive

The videos all have a high production value with lots of hands-on action with the 920. If I was a betting man, I’d say the videos are genuine and AT&T will indeed have a six month head start with Nokia’s flagship.

Six months may not seem like a long time to hold exclusive rights over something but in the fast-paced mobile phone industry, it’s practically an eternity. By the time other carriers are permitted to stock the 920 sometime in early May 2013, it will be old news. The odds of people holding out half a year to pick up a phone that would be equally as dated seems really slim if you ask me.

In the meantime, Microsoft has scheduled a media event for October 29 in San Francisco where they plan to showcase Windows Phone 8.

Permalink to story.

The odds of people holding out half a year to pick up a phone that would be equally as dated seems really slim if you ask me

Yep, not this reader. Too bad I aited this long for Nokia 920; very disappointed with Nokia's decision. I am looking at HTC 8X or SG3 to get in the next few weeks.

Yeah those are AT&T training videos.

As for the exclusivity thing, it only says the 920 will be exclusive for 6 months. There could still be a 9xx variant headed to Verizon, or so I've heard...

IMO, instead of getting back customers, they are going so exclusive that few people will buy it, and Indeed in 6 months Lumia 920 will be history, people will be getting GS3 and other phones, I am very disappointed.

It does not matter what carrier has the phone, Microsoft fanboy's will buy them, because they are to stupid to do anything else.

AT&T for six months?? Nooooooo...!!! I cannot wait anymoooaaarrr!!

What about UK users? My contract is up next month and I am torn between this or the new HTC.
I could stick with my HD7, it's lasted me 2 years and is still completely fine, still, that doesn't bode well for me when creating WP8 apps...

Back