ATI infinite loop fix revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffkrol

This thread saved me from hours of work:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic15393.html
BUT I was wondering if there is a more elegant solution than to just dump the VIA bridge for the standard PCI bridge.
From the age of the "solution" you would think that things were better since "normally" it is "a good idea" to use more current drivers.... but apparently this issue is not gone away. I apparently made the mistake of updating all my drivers (VIA, newest ATI, BIOS ect.) when the "infinite loop BSOD" appearred.
I probably would have rolled back the VIA drivers last (VIA AGP 2.0 would probably not have come to mind ;)) but luckily I found this thread and things are stable again.
Any comments?????????
Oh I added and older Radeon 9550 but was stable before the driver deluge

Tmagic650 said:
What are your computer specs, especially your motherboard make and model
Aopen AK77-8x (I'm pretty sure but will verify tomorrow). I just got done cruising the VIA boards for problems like this. Seemed, though not too common, definitely not a mystery either. Most fixes point to driver issues (PCI to AGP) but some seem to feel it's power supply ect (anything BUT VIA).
Systems stable for now (after doing hte tweak of course) and since it runs some vid cameras, I'll know for sure tomorrow morning if it stays that way.......
CPU AMD XP 2000+ (THOURGHBRED CORE) Box built by Aopen w/ 300w ps...
http://www.tkarena.com/forums/video-graphics-arena/37260-via-8237r-nvidia-6200-agpx8-help.html

This is a rather old system/motherboard circa 2001-2002. I had an old ECS VIA mobo that suffered the "infinate loop" problem... until I ditched... or upgraded the entire system. The newer VIA chipsets >2004 solved this problem

Tmagic650 said:
This is a rather old system/motherboard circa 2001-2002. I had an old ECS VIA mobo that suffered the "infinate loop" problem... until I ditched... or upgraded the entire system. The newer VIA chipsets >2004 solved this problem
Changing the driver seems to have fixed it. Cameras on all night, BSOD in morning...
The orig VIA drivers behaved fine, but I figured going to the newest ones would be helpful. To VIA's credit they did mention that "maybe keeping the old drivers is a good thing" at the download site. Not in those words but the meaning was there.
Now to my SIS board problems and hard disk write failure issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back