ATI Radeon XT9600 won't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

stelzman522

i bought a ATI Radeon XT 9600 and when i put it in and plug my monitor into it nothing comes on the screen at all. and yes i plugged into the new gpu. also i have a dimmension 4600i motherboard and phenix bios never updated. and i think that the onboard intel graphics card might have somthing to do with it. i also disabled the intel gpu and tried again and the same thing happened. the only thing in bios about the intel card is to options (1)auto (2) onboard and i tried both and nothing happened again! soo if any one can help me i would be happy

there is no power to my card and i think it is working because the fan goes on and everying seems to boot the same but i just cant see it and no beeps at all

i do not have a pci-e slot on my computer :( but i found that there are different agp slot speeds, the card i got is 8x, and i dont know how to check what mine runs at. there is nothing about this in the bios. how can i find out?

also if i take the card out and plug the monitor into the on board one everything works just fine. it seems to just not work ever time the card is in the computer. idk im getting mad at this!

Please put your System Specs information in your Profile

If you have proprietory computer like Dell or Hp (or other manufacture) please put that info (and model number) in the Motherboard field, of your Profile

(The clickable links will help you find your info)

Have a look at nickc "System Specs" in the top right hand corner of his posts. That's how it should look (with your details in place of course)

Edit:

Doh! Just noticed you have a dimmension 4600i as noted in your original message !

And to clarify your question about AGP speed, the card should run no matter what speed your Mobo has your slot at. 2x 4x whatever it should still at work. Try what kimsland suggested then get back to us.

That model dell has a tiny 250w PSU but I think it should be able to handle a 9600 just fine ( I have see it in other instances )

well i want to get it to work because i dont want my money to be wasted!

i think the slot works because the little fan on the new card does go on.

also it is weird that even if i plug the monitor into the on board card it still wont show anything when the apg card is in but without it in everything is fine

Just check the voltage rating (1.5V ??) on the AGP box (or it's manual) then contact Dell (same link above) for free on their "live chat" (I've done it before it's quite fun! but now they want the service tag I'm not allowed to do it any longer!)

Anyway ask them what your AGP slot Voltage is, and if that card suits that model

Please also reply here with the conversation, it may help you further

also it is weird that even if i plug the monitor into the on board card it still wont show anything when the apg card is in but without it in everything is fine
Not weird

they said they didnt know what the voltage was. and..........

"We don't have it in our list of compatible cards."

"It can work however has not been tested by us"

they said they didnt know what the voltage was

Huh!
All the times I put them up, and that's their support reply
I'm sure if I searched enough I could find this Voltage rating on your internal AGP port, but not Dell it seems (you know the manufacturer who built it from silicon and chip board !!!)

Look, I think it's the PowerSupply
But it still could be a DOA card
Just return it as, "it didn't work" in your computer (you're not a technician, who knows why it doesn't work)

yes im gonna return it, do u kno of a card that is better than that crappy integrated card i have and will work in my computer?

i do have 3 other PCI slots open for use. is there any PCI card that you would recommend for under $70.

also i dont think my AGP port is faulty because the fan on the new card does spin.

and also i do not have PCI Express so dont recommend a PCI-E card

ok so i emailed the people i ordered the card from and they said they will send me a replacement. should i do this or just get a refund and try a pci card

Think of it this way, the replacement is also under warranty !
Maybe go for the replacement, I prefer AGP over PCI anyway (ofcourse PCI-E being the best)

ill just ask them that if the replacement card doesn't work can i get a full refund

hopefully they are cool with that.

thanks for that link theres good stuff for there for pretty cheap
i might to the pci way idk

Obviously let us know the outcome (whichever way) and post back here one day.
I hope the post says, the replacement card worked !! (But I am hopeing!)

i have noticed some things about my agp slot.

1)the slot is green, while i hear that most are brown?? idk if it has any significance
2)i cant find anything that says that there is even a agp slot on my mobo, for example, i installed everest and it said nothing of it, also there is nothing that says agp anything in device manager. there is however "universal pci bus" or w/e it says but no agp bus or slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back