ATi To Offer AGP and PCI-E Versions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasm66

Why give up part of the market? Seems like a shame to. New ATi graphics boards and chips will come in two flavors -- PCI-E and AGP, so legacy systems will get some of the benefit of newer technology without users having to completely junk their motherboards (or, more accurately, their entire machines...)

"We learned that the X600 and X300 generation or ATI cards won't remain PCI-E only. As we said, Nvidia and ATI don’t plan to kill their AGP parts and they have to co-exist at least for some time. "

"ATI sees the life of AGP lasting for the next 12 to 18 months so has to offer something to users that want a new graphic card but don’t want PCI-E platforms. "

More here.

Hmm. Not too suprising though, as there seems to be a reluctance in the market to move to PEG right now.

It's ok for OEM/System builders, but for us enthusiast...

I read somewhere that PCi-E wont be any more expensive than AGP coz it doesnt cost anything more to produce, i hope this is true, my £800 has now grown to a record breaking £950 :S I NEED TO SPEND THIS MONEY!

I wish they'd only make PCIE for these cards, that way we could all move over asap.

agissi> There is nothing stopping you from swtiching as soon as all the components are released....

Then you can let the rest of us switch when we've seen that all the bugs which was introduced with the new platform has been ironed out :)

It makes sense to make such a transition, as it takes time for everyone to switch over to a new technology. Remember ISA, it was still an option on many boards until recently(may still be) although most people stopped using it some time ago. Same is likely to be the case with the move to PCIE.

I see your view Mr.G, but if we all went to it right off, the ironing would happen much faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back