Audi takes on the Tesla Model S and Porsche Taycan with the $100,000 e-tron GT

Humza

Staff member
The big picture: The new e-tron GT bears an unmistakable Audi design and is also the company's most powerful EV to date. Following two SUV models, this four-door sporty sedan is now Audi's flagship EV and the front-runner of its e-tron brand. Although Audi's EV costs less than its more powerful German sibling and offers better mileage, it is easily trumped by the Tesla Model S when it comes to price, performance, and range.

Audi initially teased the e-tron GT concept at the 2018 LA Auto Show as part of its major EV push and has now finally revealed the production version at a recent livestream event. The company's latest flagship EV will be available in three flavors later this summer, namely the $100,000 e-tron GT quattro, the $108,000 e-Tron Prestige, and the $140,000 RS e-tron GT. All models have a dual-motor setup with AWD and utilize the Porsche Taycan's 800-volt architecture with a 93.4 kWh lithium-ion battery pack.

Audi is offering two powertrains for this car, with the standard (and Prestige) version producing 350 kW (~470 hp) and the performance-focused RS model making 440 kW (~590 hp).

All models come with launch control and an overboost feature that briefly pumps those numbers up by 35-40 kW and reduces their 0-60 times, taking 3.9 seconds for the standard e-tron GT and 3.1 seconds for the RS version. Top speed, meanwhile, is limited to 152mph and 155mph, respectively.

Although these figures are on par with Audi's own ICE-powered R8, they do make it less potent against the Porsche Taycan, and even more so against the recently refreshed Tesla Model S. The latter also excels when it comes to mileage, offering more than twice of what the Audi can muster: 520mi in the Model S Plaid vs. 238mi as per Audi's EPA estimates.

These factors, however, are only part of the story in the premium EV segment, where brand power, luxury, and design are now increasingly playing an important role for buyers when making their next car purchase.

The e-tron GT's interior, seems a lot plusher than its US rival. It has a 12.3-inch display for the instrument cluster and a 10.1-inch touchscreen in the center console powered by Audi's MMI system. There's also a generous sprinkling of physical buttons and switches, unlike the increasingly touchscreen-laden cabins of modern cars (including the Taycan).

In typical Audi fashion, buyers will have plenty of material choices for the cabin, alongside pricey optional extras on the base model like a premium sound system, heads-up display, a trio of safety packages featuring adaptive cruise assist, and all-wheel steering. There's also support for wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

The e-tron GT will initially launch in Europe this spring, followed by a summer launch in the US. It will be compatible with VW's Electrify America high-speed charging network, allowing it to gain 62 miles (~100 km) of range with just a five-minute charge. Audi will offer a 4-year/50,000-mile limited warranty for the e-tron GT, alongside complimentary maintenance for 1-year/10,000 miles.

Permalink to story.

Even when driving fast in a petrol RS6/RS7, you can get way father than 238mi on a single fuel tank, while regular A6/A7 can do significantly better. I personally own a 2017 A6, 2.0 diesel auto, which returns real-world 40mpg.

To pay 100k and get a hell of range anxiety for your money, you'd have to be a green nutcase. In US you can get a new S7 for less money, while the difference will easily cover the fuel-cost difference.

Last edited:
All you need to do is "sit in" a Model S and then sit in a Taycan and you see the reason why the Model S and X sell so much better.

The Taycan is way too small and way too expensive.

The Model 3 and Model Y are a far better deal.

By the way, no matter how fast these things are, no one is racing them on the street since they take a tremendous hit to battery life and most people don't feel like going to chargers regularly. We keep our Model X performance in regular driving mode and almost never use Ludicrous.

It's not that good having a car so fast that regular drivers can't anticipate what you'll do next - or how fast you can do it.

All you need to do is "sit in" a Model S and then sit in a Taycan and you see the reason why the Model S and X sell so much better.

The Taycan is way too small and way too expensive.

The Model 3 and Model Y are a far better deal.

By the way, no matter how fast these things are, no one is racing them on the street since they take a tremendous hit to battery life and most people don't feel like going to chargers regularly. We keep our Model X performance in regular driving mode and almost never use Ludicrous.

It's not that good having a car so fast that regular drivers can't anticipate what you'll do next - or how fast you can do it.
TBF tesla can literally reduce most of their cost due to space x economics of scale. And also the fact that the tesla's interior is just so simple, they don't put a lot into it, so that also adds into more cost reduction. Audi and porsche aren't really like that. They are all about luxury and performance. Porsche is more performance focused. Considering they've been doing track stuff for such a long time.

TBF tesla can literally reduce most of their cost due to space x economics of scale. And also the fact that the tesla's interior is just so simple, they don't put a lot into it, so that also adds into more cost reduction. Audi and porsche aren't really like that. They are all about luxury and performance. Porsche is more performance focused. Considering they've been doing track stuff for such a long time.

Most "performance buyers" don't want a "quiet" performance car no matter how fast it is.

I have a feeling that my inevitable purchase of an electric vehicle is going to come down to the amount of physical buttons. I HATE touchscreens in cars!

Touchscreens are great for lots of things, driving is not one of them. Any car I buy has to have physical climate and radio controls. I'll pay $10/gallon for gas if it means having physical climate and radio controls. I don't want to have to navigate through 3-4 screens just to turn on my window defrosters while doing 70mph down the highway. How is the lack of physical buttons not a safety issue?

Even when driving fast in a petrol RS6/RS7, you can get way father than 238mi on a single fuel tank, while regular A6/A7 can do significantly better. I personally own a 2017 A6, 2.0 diesel auto, which returns real-world 40mpg.

To pay 100k and get a hell of range anxiety for your money, you'd have to be a green nutcase. In US you can get a new S7 for less money, while the difference will easily cover the fuel-cost difference.
Indeed, but that won't be a problem in second gen. fuel combustion cars will take the steam engines route very soon.

They (Audi) didn't even bother to replace/redesign interior parts, they are using the same things they use on regular Audi platforms for past ~7 years :D

If... like the Taycan... the eTron's battery can not be easily replaced, both are doomed to failure.

Anyone considering spending $100,000+ on a car that will become the world's most expensive paperweight in 7-12 years is going to learn an expensive lesson.

Tesla had the right idea with easily swappable batteries, and has failed to capitalize on their greatest innovation. They should be investing billions in "battery swap stations" (ie: "gas" stations for Teslas) where you can drive in and get a fully charged battery in under two minutes w/o ever leaving your car. The batteries left behind at the "station" are recharged for the next customer. If they run out of batteries, there's always a Super Charger that can give you 80% in a few minutes.

Tesla could drop the price of their vehicles by as much as $10,000 if they retained ownership of the batteries.

You know range anxiety is a marketing ploy used by ICE manufacturers to get you to keep buying their products, right?
I live in podunk North central Pennsylvania and there are chargers all over, not counting the one that you'll put into your garage.
You've been had.

Back