Audio won't work after resetting BIOS to default

Moiz Chishti

Alright, so, a few days ago I reset my BIOS default (idk why). After that, when I was gonna listen to some music, it wouldn't work. I checked my audio, where it said ''No audio device is installed''. After that, I've tried everything to fix it. Plugging my device in and out, trying different ports, checking the net for solutions, updating my drivers but nothing works. When I plug in my headset, it says that it's connected, but it still won't make any sound. Can anybody help me?

No audio device installed might mean that your sound card is now disabled in BIOS. Go back into BIOS settings a look for that setting.

OK on to the next item: Using >> Device Manager .....Sound video and game controllers...expand that to see what devices are there. Any of them have a ! on it or a yellow icon

Nothing. I have my devices there, but there is no warning sign or anything. I've tried to update the driver on all of them, but hey say that the newest are already installed. I opened Run and typed in dxdiag.exe to check the soundcard, where it says that there is no soundcard. Its weird, as I have an integrated soundcard

Well, I guess it is possible that the chip on the motherboard has died. A add in sound card is possible. They also make USB versions that are really low end that you plug in and configure as your sound card and they have the little stereo mini jack on them to hoop to your speakers. You could also just a USB headset. Those is a digital USB headsets have a built in sound card that installs as part of the headset. The last idea I have is trying to get sound out of the HDMI. That also tends to be a sound card and HDMI is designed to carry sound to the monitor. That would mean the monitor would have to be hooked up by HDMI and that you are using a HDMI cable that carries sound and that your monitor has speakers.

Oh..one other thought>> Onboard audio controller sounds so generic. It really suggests that you don't have a driver for that, doesn't it? You did go to the manufacturer of the motherboard and you did get the audio driver from there?

Oh..one other thought>> Onboard audio controller sounds so generic. It really suggests that you don't have a driver for that, doesn't it? You did go to the manufacturer of the motherboard and you did get the audio driver from there?
idk, my father bought the pc. also, the driver has always been working just fine until now after the BIOS reset. been running for two years I think

Well there is a cool program called Belarc that will scan your hardware and tell you what kind of a mainboard you have. That will save you the time of taking the side cover off and looking. Sometimes you have to remove the graphics card to see so Belarc can be handy for that reason.

Once you know the mainboard manufacture and part# you can find the sound card driver.

Well there is a cool program called Belarc that will scan your hardware and tell you what kind of a mainboard you have. That will save you the time of taking the side cover off and looking. Sometimes you have to remove the graphics card to see so Belarc can be handy for that reason.

Once you know the mainboard manufacture and part# you can find the sound card driver.
So I gotta buy a new one?

So I gotta buy a new one?
No, it's to make sure you download and install the correct motherboard drivers. You might have done so already but just on the chance you didn't, Kshipper is trying to direct you to the best/correct source of motherboard/sound drivers.

What should I do now?

file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Belarc/BelarcAdvisor/System/tmp/(DESKTOP-0J5639T).html#versions

What should I do now?

file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Belarc/BelarcAdvisor/System/tmp/(DESKTOP-0J5639T).html#versions
Read the Belarc report ...what sound card does it say you have? Who built your computer? (HP, Dell, Custom built) That is another way to try and figure out what sound card is in there (By looking up your computer by manufacturer) or who made your motherboard (Asus, Gigabyte, MSi etc..), yet another way to find out what sound card is in there. You could even just stick a pair of USB headphones on that machine and that will install a a special sound card that is built into the headphones and tada, you have sound .....(in the headphones only tho').

OK ..so look at the bottom right of your desktop ...there is a speaker icon there..[Left Click] that. Make sure the slider is up...slide it to around 75%

If you still have no sound. Use the Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Sound> ...which one has a green checkmark? It should be your headphones.

When you say you set the BIOS to defaults, did you set it to defaults within the BIOS itself or did you flash the BIOS?. If you did not flash the BIOS, although it is risky maybe you should flash it. Also, if it is a pc and not a laptop, sound cards are cheap, you can install one in a pci or pcie slot.

Just flashed BIOS, but still, no sound. I also tried installing the newest motherboard drive, but that didn't help either.

There's an impressive amount of good advice here. I suggest you go through everything again. If you do get sound back remember the old saying "If it aint broke don't fix it."

No headphone and no onboard audio plus all the other things you have tried looks like there is something wrong with the sound card itself. If your headsets are not usb like Kshipper suggested, then try that. The only hint so far is that the sound quit working after you reset the BIOS.

Last edited:
Back