Auditing file deletion on a server

cartera

Hello peeps,

To prevent reading the blurb below, any ideas on how to monitor on a server file deletion/ movement. This is in a domain environment and needs to be able to log the user which made the change.

If your feeling more adventurous below is what i tried!

On our servers we have a problem that folders are moving and disappearing from a particular file. It is one member of an active directory group we believe that is deliberately or unknowingly deleting the files.
Currently I am running watch 4 folder to log when a file is changed or deleted (this allows me to know the exact time and name of the folder which is been deleted). I am also trying to use auditing policies within windows server 2003 to log this also so i know the user which has deleted the file.

Watch 4 folder gives me a time to cross reference with event viewer to save me searching through the last 100,000 events in the security log.

The auditing policy does not work and i have hit a brick wall on reasons why.
I created the policy by on the server going to the folder i wish to monitor and going to properties. In properties selecting the security tab selecting the advanced button and then selecting auditing tab.
Under this tab i created the policy so i went add - and set the object name as the possible offenders group policy group. I then applied it to 'this folder, subfolders and files' and then selected all possible access options in successfull and failed.

This as far as i am aware this should work but it would seem not from testing!

Any info, corrections or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Alastair

Under this tab i created the policy so i went add - and set the object name as the possible offenders group policy group. I then applied it to 'this folder, subfolders and files' and then selected all possible access options in successfull and failed.
add the <everyone> group and Audit [x] delete, [x] change perms

Attached is how I got my audit configured and a sample of the Events log it creates

Attachments

• CreateSystemAuditing.txt
    854 bytes · Views: 6
  • SystemAudit.log.txt
    6.9 KB · Views: 5
Back