August introduces slimmer and sleeker Wi-Fi Smart Lock

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: The August Wi-Fi Smart Lock was designed by co-founder and renowned designer Yves Béhar and is offered in silver and matte black finishes. The company said the new lock now supports softer surface transitions with rounder edges and refined, textured ridges that become apparent when the lock is rotated manually.

August at CES on Wednesday introduced its fourth generation retrofit smart lock. The new August Wi-Fi Smart Lock is 45 percent smaller in volume and 20 percent slimmer than its predecessor, the August Smart Lock Pro, making it an ideal companion for a much wide range of décor.

August eliminated the need to pair its lock with an external hub by integrating the Wi-Fi smarts directly into the lock itself. This means that all you need to do is pair it with the August App from your preferred App Store to monitor and manage the lock from virtually anywhere in the world.

The August logo is now even used to help visually identify if the lock is engaged or not.

August said the lock is powered by a pair of CR123 batteries which should last about as long as the four AA batteries in the Smart Lock Pro.

Look for the August Wi-Fi Smart Lock to launch later this year. No solid word yet on pricing, however, although it’s rumored to be in the same ballpark as the Smart Lock Pro (sub $249).

Permalink to story.

Smart Locks are Stupid!

You'd sell a lot more of these if you turn it into a bluetooth Volume Control for Windows

Imagine, a wireless Volume Control placed anywhere on your desk

Try not to make it look like cheap plastic junk and you'd "Lock Up" the market

Now that's smart!

This is dumb!

Smart Locks are Stupid!

You'd sell a lot more of these if you turn it into a bluetooth Volume Control for Windows

Imagine, a wireless Volume Control placed anywhere on your desk

Try not to make it look like cheap plastic junk and you'd "Lock Up" the market

Now that's smart!

This is dumb!
I love my August lock. Can keep the key that came with my original locks. Also now. I don't have to carry my keys on me when I leave the house. It also can auto lock when I turn on my security system. Also not yearly subscription. The product is very good.

That's nice that they integrated the wifi, but I still don't trust something like this that is connected to the internet.

Agreed!

I'd rather have the neighbor break into my bluetooth volume control and turn my music down when it's too loud than have some stranger break into my house

Vulnerabilities in ALL smart lock WILL be found!

They do win awards though for "Dumbest Idea EVER!"

Seems like a bad idea, to introduce new attack vectors into your home.

I also have to question whether a company focused on software actually has the locksmith know how to make the mechanical parts of the lock competent.

Seems like a bad idea, to introduce new attack vectors into your home.

I also have to question whether a company focused on software actually has the locksmith know how to make the mechanical parts of the lock competent.
That's not how these work. They use the key part of whatever lock you have already. It just replaced the inside lever on the bolt. So your existing key and deadbolt hardware stay the same.

That's not how these work. They use the key part of whatever lock you have already. It just replaced the inside lever on the bolt. So your existing key and deadbolt hardware stay the same.

I see. So they traded compatibility for ease of use. That's better then replacing any of the hardware at least.

Back