Automatic Updates continuous restart problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have XP Pro SP3.

For a while, I've been having a problem with AU and that annoying yellow icon appearing at the bottom of the toolbar with the following message:

“Updating your computer is almost complete. You must restart your computer for the updates to take effect. Do you want to restart your computer now?”

Even though I click the ‘Restart Now’ button and the system restarts, after the system reboots, the yellow icon still appears.

I can't upgrade to I.E. 8 or download anything from Microsoft Update because of the AU problem (the error number 0x8DDD0007).

I have turned off AU, but it only resolves in removing the icon from the toolbar. I’ve tried removing the ‘Reboot Required’ registry entry from the Auto Update folder from Registry Editor, but it continuously returns after rebooting the system. I was able to remove the RR entry from RE in safe mode permanently, but not in regular mode.

I’ve scanned my system for viruses (Symantec Antivirus; virus definitions up to date) and it came up clean.

What is causing this problem and how can I resolve it?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

You could try using System Restore and restore it to a point before the update that caused the problem if your restore points go back that far. I've undone Windows updates that went awry that way before. You can always undo the restore if you don't like the results.

System Restore option tried..but failed

Thank you for replying to my post, though. I've tried using SR at various points going back as far as it would allow me but it undid nothing.

I followed Shenan's tips too, failed there as well...

....my response to his tips from the microsoft site has conveyed that...

Well, if all else fails, you can reinstall Windows XP Pro but that would be a last resort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back