AVG 8.0 / SP3 files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all...

Ok so the other day my new avg 8.0 (free version) popped up and quarantined 2 files found in the sp3 file folder. Totally legit folders too, and the files were both msconfig.exe, just found in 2 locations. One was C:\windows\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\msconfig.exe and the other was C:windows\ServicesPackFiles\i386\msconfig.exe.

It's calling them I-Worm/Brontoc.KO

So I'm thinking it's the new avg 8.0 going crazy, and Microsoft with sp3 looking like a worm when it's not.

Any thoughts?

AMD 64X2 Dual
Windows Home SP3
Home built
Foxcon board

Never had a problem until I uninstalled avg 7.5, and installed avg 8.0 and two days later this happened.

I don't want to assume it's not a worm and have issues. The computer is on a lan at work with 10 other machines running Zonealarm but allowing the other 10 machines into the trusted zone. The other machines are maintained by me and have limited access (in some cases no access) to the internet, but email is there and spam and such. They all have avg 7.5 and we are all behind a Belkin router.

I do surf at work, but mainly to trusted sites unless I’m searching for things for work, so it could be something, but I have Zonealarm and a router. The machine is only 4 months old was built by a friend and has never had any p2p or anything questionable.

The files are still in quarantine and I'm wondering if I should let them out, although windows if running fine. I think msconfig.exe is for setting up your start-up files an things of that nature. Haven't used it on this machine and it won't work now with them sitting in the virus vault.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

The new AVG 8.0 is very, VERY flakey, and should be avoided as long as Avir and Avast are out there... We're getting complaints and strange stories from all sectors. Not worth it to have that sort of thing happening. AVG needs to get their act together... either continue their plan for the paid version or provide a free versions that works.

A couple of common symptoms would be

task manager disabled

In windows explorer -> under tools -> no folder option

Complaints that you are spamming people in your email list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back