Avg 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin997

hello there,

i have just downloaded AVG 8 free edition and have a few questions regarding it.
I currently have AVG 7.5 free edition, so should i uninstall it then install AVG 8, or should i just install AVG 8 without uninstalling AVG 7.5.?
Secondly, i read that AVG 8 allready has "anti spyware" on it, and i allready have spybot search and destroy, so should i uninstall spybot because AVG 8 allready has "anti spyware" on it?

any help is appriciated!

so should i uninstall it then install AVG 8,
Yes, you have to

so should i uninstall spybot because AVG 8 allready has "anti spyware" on it?
Yes I would

Others may reply with don't, (as each Spyware tool seems to check different things)
But why have two running, it'll just slow your computer down.

I recommend you keep both, but it's up to you, Spybot won't run real time if you leave tea timer turned off. To disable Teatimer

Disable Teatimer
  • Right click the Spybot -SD Resident Icon located in your system tray, Select Exit Spybot - S&D Resident
  • Open Spybot S&D
  • Click on Mode at the top and make sure that Advanced is checked
  • Expand the Tools tab in the left pane
  • Single click on the Resident Icon also in the left pane
  • Uncheck Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active
  • Close spybot

AVG 8 isn't Free

It's a trial so loading both should give you a short look to pay for ver 8 demo.

AVG 8.0 Free (FREE VERSION)

User Manual

AVG Internet Security (Pay version)

AVG free forum

wrao.gif

???

thanks so far!
i will uninstall AVG 7.5 now, and instal my copy of AVG 8 free.
sorry, but what is "real time", and "teatimer."

real time would be actively scanning and also using your computers resources

Teatimer is a function that you may or may not have enabled during setup of Spybot that notifies you of changes to your registry. It is a decent feature but does eat a lot of resources

WinPatrol is a program that if you are interested will do basically the same without consuming so much of your computers resources.

so is real time really nesacary, and does it scan all of the time.

right.... i must have teatimer enabled, because when i instal anything or change a setting it notifies me of the change to the registry. Is teatimer really nessacary as well.

Like I said earlier, I would disable Teatimer and install WinPatrol it does basically the same thing except it doesn't use hardly any resources. It is free.

Spybot is good to keep and scan with every 2 weeks or so, depending on your habits.

It wont use any resources except when scanning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back