AVG Free and Microsoft Security Essentials

Apophis2034

I am looking into what the best Free Antivirus is and I have gotten mixed answers but most of the people I ask say that AVG Free is the way to go. I Have Microsoft Security Essentials on my PC though is it enough? or can I Install AVG and have them both working at the same time? or will that cause problems?

The rule is: One security suit OR One of each - antivirus, firewall, and anitspyware/antimalware. If you have two softwares installed doing the same thing conflicts will arise.

Stick with Microsoft Essentials. I know of too many people who have issues with AVG. If you want to try something else then try Avast Free. It is superior to AVG.

The rule is: One security suit OR One of each - antivirus, firewall, and anitspyware/antimalware. If you have two softwares installed doing the same thing conflicts will arise.

Stick with Microsoft Essentials. I know of too many people who have issues with AVG. If you want to try something else then try Avast Free. It is superior to AVG.
I 2nd that. You know AVG stands for Aint Very Good:). I'm using Avast & love it. I've used MSE too.
Should also install http://www.filehippo.com/download_spywareblaster/
http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/
http://www.filehippo.com/download_superantispyware/ :)

For protection your pc from virus/malware, use multiple layer defense approach as Route44 said before, so you must at least installed:
1. one functioning antivirus and keep it updated, DO NOT install more than one antivirus as this will caused conflict
2. at least one or two antimalware program(s)
3. a bi-directional firewall, I recommend use from 3rd party, DO NOT use more than one firewall

For protection your pc from virus/malware, use multiple layer defense approach as Route44 said before, so you must at least installed:
1. one functioning antivirus and keep it updated, DO NOT install more than one antivirus as this will caused conflict
2. at least one or two antimalware program(s)
3. a bi-directional firewall, I recommend use from 3rd party, DO NOT use more than one firewall
Actually, having more than one INSTALLED is not the true issue - - it's have two or more running/active.
If you can install and disable autorun to then allow manual scanning, you will then have multiple tools for the nasty job - - and you can never have too many tools.

The BIG feature for making the decision of what to use is the active (runtime) ability to scan inbound email, any weblink you might click and then the scanning of programs being launched. IMO the first two trump the latter,
as they stop the infection from being seeded. While there is the issue that one can run a program 1000 times and
find on the 1001 time it has been infected, I personally don't use runtime scanning of programs.

I have Avast for email+link scanning and use MSRT or Essentials scan for root kits.

Just my $0.02

JoBeard you are correct. I forgot the active part. I have MalwareBytes on my PC but only run for periodic scans so I have no issues to speak of. I have also found MB and SuperantiSpyware to work very well together.

Avg and mic. essential is one of the best anti virus for pc but mic. essential used only for Microsoft operating system when avg is used for every os.

Avg and mic. essential is one of the best anti virus for pc but mic. essential used only for Microsoft operating system when avg is used for every os.
AVG is by no means a good program. Aint Very Good used to be a very good but lately no. MSE,Avast is by far better.
Personally, I've removed AVG from many pc's to install Avast.

AVG comes with bloatware and actually forcibly changes settings in your Browser...WITHOUT ever asking permission to do so. IMO, AVG is an anti-virus that contains malware.

avg is used for every os.
AVG does NOT work for "every os" as it does not support Linux entirely. They have a Terminal (command line) only version to run under Linux. They also don't support BSD at all. If you google AVG for BSD you get a download for a Debian Linux .DEB file and that will certainly not work for BSD...BSD and Linux are both Unix based but they are vastly different.

Avast on the other hand actually does have a Linux compatible version even with a GUI...they don't support BSD either but to be fair neither Linux or BSD really need anti-virus apps. Theoretically it is possible for Linux to get a virus but there aren't any to get and since Windows viruses are automatically benign on Linux those don't matter either.

Anyway, I commented because people saying "cross platform" or "every os" when they are not actually counting EVERY OS...is just annoying.

------------------------------

With all of that said, Avast and MSE are the top two IMO. MSE is "only Windows" but you don't need an anti-virus that is cross platform anyway...most OSX users would get an OSX anti-virus (except for the morons who think that they are impervious).

Avast has a lot more features than MSE but MSE is powerful while also being simple to use so there are many reasons to use either.

I 2nd that. You know AVG stands for Aint Very Good:)
Actually, that's not what it stands for. Not that isn't terribly cute, but PC World at last check, had it as the best free AV suite. *(And that's a first for this product).

Avast was killed by my daughter in law downloading some crap from Facebook..

Avira is mostly adware, and it's the only Av software that ever let anything through which caused me a reformat.

And AVG well, it just keeps motoring along, with a little help from its friends, (Spybot, Malwarebytes, NoScript, & Ccleaner)

And MSE wel, I suppose it's OK, but I never use it when I'm searching for "art photography". Never really have trusted it.

AVG's "Link Scanner" though, has a site all scoped out, before you even get there.

As far as this new ratings failure goes, it seems to me that M$ would let MSE go downhill a bit, so as they can pitch how secure Windows 8 is in comparison to their "older OSes"..

Anyway, I commented because people saying "cross platform" or "every os" when they are not actually counting EVERY OS...is just annoying.
Before you go off on a rant, you might try interpreting what people probably mean. Which in this case was most likely, "every version of Windows". (But hey, my mind reading skills aren't usually that finely tuned early on a Friday morning, so who knows)?
With all of that said, Avast and MSE are the top two IMO.
Avast indeed has been top rated many times. However, it completely failed to impress me the one time I installed it. .As for MSE being,one of the" top two", that is indeed your opinion, as published test results have never corroborated your belief in it. Most of what I've seen have placed it in the middle of the pack.

Avg 2013 free + mse on computer 1; avast free + mse on computer 2; mse on my 6 yo laptop.
so far no problem looking at captaincranky's female art photography.

captaincranky, I know AVG don't really stand for Aint Very Good, but I also know many people that call it trashier names.
I have Avast & have used it longer than any AV & prefer it over any other.

Back