AVI and QuickTime

Hi Everyone,

I have read a ton of threads and watched tons of YouTubes regarding the use of AVI files on QuickTime, and after hours and hours of reading and watching, I am no more informed than before.

Even though most of you know what I'm talking about already, I'll ask my question in a way that I at least understand...

My grandfather has a MacBook, because he is 94 years old and thinks that any non-vertical system (e.g. Windows) is out to steal his identity. I have Windows XP.

We are 3000 miles apart, and I have made several videos on WMM, which he wants to see and which I would love for him to see, before he leaves this mortal coil.

Even with my lack of computer savvy, I have managed to convert YouTube videos to AVI files, and then convert AVI files to WMV files.

So, I basically have one 2-part question:

A. How, if possible, do I convert WMV files to AVI file.
B. And, how would my grandfather be able to view these files after I send them via email.

If the answer to either of the above is "it can't be done", please don't explain why, because I will never understand the reason.

And of the answer is "Yes, it can be done," please give me the directions in the form of that which a 6-year-old would understand.

Thanks,
Danny

Hi danielsan7, Yes this can all be done, your greatest problem will be in emailing large size video files, there is a limit on how much you can send.
Of course there are other methods, by uploading files to a cloud service, or if the files are not too big, possibly save them to a USB flash memory stick and send that in the post. I presume the Macbook cannot play DVDs.
The Quicktime player will play many different formats, it's default is .MOV, but a good choice would be .MPEG-4, as the files should be smaller than the .AVI versions. I'm fairly sure QT won't play WMV files though.

If you have created your own files, say from a video camera, then you can convert them to be in a form that QT on the Macbook will read.
To do that you will need to install on your PC, a video converter program.
You might have a look at;
http://www.videotovideo.org/
or;
http://www.winxdvd.com/video-converter/download.htm
Either of these will take your video files and convert to another format which you have to save again in the new format.
You could then save your files to flash memory stick and send them in the post, or upload to a cloud service, whichever you choose. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Okay, I understood a lot of that answer.

I don't really understand the ,MOV or .MPEG-4.

I created wmv files. Neither one of us needs to download files from Youtube.

And you are correct that wmv cannot be played on QT.

You are also correct that the sizes are too large to email.

All I have are wmv files, so emailing avi files is not an option.

I need to convert wmv files into something that is compatible with MAc OS or Mac X

Will freemake or videotovideo convert wmv to anything that can be viewed on a mac?

The best solution is to have him watch the videos on youtube... but apparently that is out of the question.

So the next best solution is to physically mail him a USB stick with the files on it AND the .dmg of VLC. VLC will play wmv files on a Mac no problem.

Source: I have a Mac and VLC.

Hi, Well you have a couple of separate issues all fairly easy to overcome.
First is that .WMV format is used by Microsoft Windows software and not Apple software.
Second is to convert the .WMV to a format that will play in Quicktime on the Macbook, there are many, e.g. .MOV & .MPEG-4.
But as mentioned the other video player program that would work well if installed on the Macbook is called 'VLC player'.
Conversion programs I mentioned are designed to accept your .WMV files and convert them into another 'format' and then save them out of the program into a folder on your PC.
Then you just have to copy those converted files to (say) a USB flash memory stick, and send in the post.
The only real problem here is the size of the files, and how much memory you have on the memory stick you use. USB flash memory is quite cheap now, even the supermarkets in the UK have 16GB for around £10 (that's about $16), you would get a lot of video on 16GB of memory.

If you want to try the 'Videotovideo' program, they have a page giving step by step instructions, ( it's not difficult ) here, http://www.videotovideo.org/help/
It would be useful if you could give a rough idea of how many videos you want to send and what file sizes they are in MB or GB. Just hover your mouse cursor over each file, and the file size will show in a small box near it, or use Windows explorer and choose 'list' view.

Back