Avid collector receives Guinness World Record for largest video game collection

Shawn Knight

Staff member

man garners guinness record owning video games guinness world record games video game collection

Some people like to collect coins, stamps, baseball cards or even vehicles, but for Michael Thomasson, video games are his passion. His collection recently earned him a spot in the Guinness World Records 2014 Gamer’s Edition for having the largest video game collection in the world.

The avid collector has been determined to get his hands on every video game and system possible since obtaining his first game, Cosmic Avenger, when he was 12 as a Christmas gift (never mind the fact that he had to wait a full year to play it as the Colecovision was difficult to find at the time).

Arriving at this point was no easy task, however, and there were a couple of setbacks. Thomasson said he sold off his collection twice over – once in 1989 to help fund the purchase of a Sega Genesis and again nine years later to help pay for his wedding.

Since then, he has amassed more than 11,000 games (10,607 was the count when officials from Guinness stopped by a year ago to verify the record) estimated to be worth between $700,000 and $800,000. He spends roughly $3,000 on games per year meaning most items are purchased at a bargain.

Thomasson works as a game designer and teaches 2D animation, game design and the history of video games at Canisius College in Buffalo and is the father of a 5-year-old. Between work and family duties, he’s lucky to get three hours of playing in each week, he said.

Permalink to story.

That is an amazing collection! He's at the point where it's probably easier to list things you don't have in a console system than to list what he does have. It's surprising to me that a lot of his collection looks like it's in the box and in good shape. Not bad for a bargain hunter.

Nice collection! I am jealous!
I wish I still had every console I have ever owned in my possession.

News update: a fire as burned everything, collector commits suicide.

News update: a fire as burned everything, collector commits suicide.

lol I was just thinking I hope he has that insured. Heck with a collection that big it would have to be stored in a fireproof room in the house with a keypad combination to get in. Like a panic room or something....

I embrace his exciting collection. He has accomplished so much in his short life. Will he be the Oscar emmcee?

Yes we both believe its worth something and it is valued at 800k.

If you disagree then you need to post something to disprove it....

Back