Bad image error for every program

Status
Not open for further replies.
about two days ago i started getting this every time i tried to run a program:

C:\windows\system32\version.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error.

this same error message comes up for every program except microsoft word and windows messenger. i did a system restore back three months and that solved nothing. ive run windows defender and it came up with one hit but after deleting it the error was still there. ive read many forums about this problem but they all say to install antivirus programs, which i cant do because i get the error message right before the setup wizard starts. i used another computer to download the programs and transferred them via usb since firefox, safari, and internet explorer wont open. this is on the vista platform, btw. i am at a total loss and would greatly appreciate help.

Perhaps you could tell us the brand and model of computer, or motherboard, and configuration
It would be good to know memory capacity, hard drive brand, and age date on the label,

Do you have a lot of valuable data which you are feared of losing, ot can you try a full format and reinstall of VISTA. Are all your program disks available for a reinstall?

my computer is a toshiba satellite-m305 s4910. i thought about doing a full format but i cant find my vista dvd. i have already copied all of my valuable data and documents so i dont have any problems erasing them. the only thing i can tell you about my hd is that it is a 320gb hdd. im not sure where to find brand or age.

Well it doesn't seem to be a common problem with that model...
You can buy a new Recovery disk set from Toshiba... not expensive... Under $35 if you are the original registered owner.

You can often use a borrowed Microsoft VISTA disk, if it is the same version, and the product ID from your Toshiba will very often work.

Or you can buy a copy of Microsoft Winodws 7 Home Premium at a lot of sites these days for around $83... then download all your drivers from the Toshiba site.

Be sure to talk to someone at Toshiba support... do not count on an internet appeal working... Their Tech Support is not famous for helping with these issues on line..

Or you can buy a copy of Microsoft Winodws 7 Home Premium at a lot of sites these days for around $83... then download all your drivers from the Toshiba site.
Make sure the site is authorized... There are sites that will sell pirate software that may come with malware.

"Bad image error" is normally a clear sign of an infection.
Post in malware forum and we'll see, what can be done.

The file you reference is from an antivirus software and is not designed or is corrupted just as the message says. The reason system restore didn't work is because it's not a system file. System restore only copies system files. The file is probably corrupt Click on the link below and download the dll file. Save it to your desktop. Right click on the file and choose copy. Now navigate to c:\windows\system32 > right click in a free space and choose paste. You should be prompted to overwrite the existing file. Choose yes of course. If this does not solve the issue then you should run Ccleaner and/or Glary Utility.

http://www.dlldump.com/download-dll-files_new.php/dllfiles/V/version.dll/5.1.2600.2180/download.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back