Bankruptcy judge orders Mt Gox CEO to U.S. for question and answer session

Shawn Knight

Staff member

judge gox ceo bankruptcy bitcoin exchange mt gox

U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Stacey Jernigan has summoned Mt. Gox CEO Mark Karpeles to appear at a law firm in Dallas, Texas, to answer questions related to its bankruptcy case.

During a hearing on the matter, Jernigan said if Karpeles avails himself of the court, he is going to get himself over to the US. Specifically, she has asked him to show up at the offices of Baker & McKenzie, the firm representing his company, on April 17 according to a report from Reuters.

Mt. Gox filed bankruptcy in Japan back in February while a Dallas court granted the Bitcoin exchange Chapter 15 bankruptcy protection last month. The latter filing was done in part to stop a class-action suit filed in a Chicago federal court, the publication noted.

The world’s largest exchange suddenly went offline in late February without warning. Days later, the company broke its silence and filed for bankruptcy claiming nearly 750,000 of its customers’ Bitcoins and 100,000 of their own were missing. The loss amounted to just under half a billion dollars based on exchange rates at that time.

Last month, the company said they found 200,000 missing Bitcoins in an old-format virtual wallet. That’s good news but even still, there are tons of Bitcoins MIA. Some Mt. Gox users believe Karpeles and insiders have stolen the funds although at present, there’s not a ton of proof about to back those claims up.

Permalink to story.

Hes gonna go to prison I can tell, US judges dont fall for bs like the public do well not as easily anyway.

Hes gonna go to prison I can tell, US judges dont fall for bs like the public do well not as easily anyway.

Im glad someone agrees with me. Its literally impossible to 'lose' a bitcoin. Everyone can look at the block-chain and see where it was sent. The thought that no one at MT gox was aware of the migration of 550,000 btc over the course of 2-3 days is as ludicrous as the fact they had 200,000 of them in a wallet they thought was empty. If they don't go to jail for fraud and it turns out they were stolen unknowingly, they still need to be punished for gross negligence and malpractice.

Back