Basic PCI vs. PCI-E questions

Okay, I'm modifying an HP Pavilion P6-2107C and am re-using hardware from an old Media Center WinXP PC.

This new PC uses Windows 7 and is currently stock. The info is in my profile and the board won't let me post the HP link to my product specs.

Anyway, what I'd really love to do is use the audio and video interfaces from that old PC.

Trouble is, it only has 1 PCI-E X16 and 3 PCI-E x1 slots.

Since I'm using the stock graphics card, can I use the PCI-E x16 slot to install my old PCI Coax in/out card? Does that even work?

If not, is there an adapter that will allow me to plug an old PCI cards into one of my USB 3.0 or 2.0 ports?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

Pax, harmonia,

Brian G. Philbin

You can try something like this.
The PCI card will not work in a PCIe card slot without an adapter.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
PCIe usage:
  • PCIe x1, x4, and x8 will work in a PCIe x16 card slot.
  • PCIe x4 has pinouts to detect PCIe x1, and x4 cards.
  • PCIe x8 has pinouts to detect PCIe x1, x4, and x8 cards.
  • PCIe x16 has pinouts to detect PCIe x1, x4, x8, and x16 cards.
  • If the backside of the card slot (for instance x1) is open, you can use faster cards (for instance x4, x8,or x16) but the card will only run at the speed of the card slot (x1).

I know a guy that cut away the x4, x8, x16 pins to use a graphics card in a x1 card slot. It was an extra card laying around so he didn't care about physical damage and he only had extra PCIe x1 card slots available. He wanted the card for a special project he was involved in. I was surprised when I read that it was successful.

Still Need Help!

Okay, so that helps with knowing that the PCI won't work with PCI-E - thanks for that.

The second question is with regard to whether there is a way to adapt the card to the new PC differently.

My understanding is that your suggested type of adapter would create clearance problems through the existing rear openings.

For example, what I'm seeking is a legacy adapter that will allow you to plug the PCI card into something that will connect through USB (1.0, 2.0 or 3.0).

What I want is to use this card in the new PC. I like this card and it works with everything else I own, but I can't find a replacement that works in PCI-E (looked all over Fry's and other sites - apparently, PCI-E is new enough that not every type of card is available in it).

Does anyone know how to do this?

My thanks, in advance.

Pax, harmonia,

Brian G. Philbin

Back