Battlefield 2042 Season 1 delayed till summer, EA says the game did not meet expectations

Humza

Staff member
A hot potato: In what can only be described as another nail in the coffin for Battlefield 2042, DICE and EA have announced that the game’s Season One has been delayed to early summer. Fans previously disappointed by Battlefield 2042’s flawed launch will now have to wait even longer for the first major content drop as DICE addresses core issues of the game, including team play improvements, voice chat and tweaks to the Portal experience.

The launch of a new Battlefield title has rarely gone smoothly for EA and DICE, but the latest entry in the series has arguably been the most controversial, given all the headlines it managed to create up till now. Unsurprisingly, the disappointment was also reflected in EA’s most recent earnings call, where CEO Andrew Wilson revealed that the game’s launch had not met expectations.

Citing challenging work-from-home conditions during development, Wilson said the game had strong stability at launch but ran into unanticipated performance issues as more players came on board. Also to blame were “some of the design choices,” that in other words were a myriad of missing features from previous Battlefield games, resulting in this entry quickly becoming one of Steam’s worst-rated games of all time.

Nevertheless, fans who still had some hope left for the game were eagerly awaiting its first major content drop as part of the Season One update. However, that’s now been delayed to early summer, with DICE revealing plans to fix core issues of the game in the coming months. The first of these updates will arrive in early March, consisting of a refreshed in-round scoreboard, alongside a few goodies for Gold and Ultimate Edition owners, while subsequent updates will bring VoIP, better gunplay and other feedback-based improvements.

Being a live service title, it'll be an uphill task for EA and DICE to retain BF2042's declining playerbase that's frustrated by the lack of basic features and post-launch content. "We are fully committed to realizing the full potential of this game and fully committed to our Battlefield fans," noted Wilson. Whether that involves going free-to-play remains to be seen.

Permalink to story.

They totally half a$$ed this game. They put out an unfinished, poorly optimized, uninspiring turd show of a game and knew it. This is the problem with EA and one of the reason they are hated the way they are. They just spit in everyone's face...hope this hurts.

The new player feedback sounds exciting from what I read about it. They will basically be running [some] ideas by the community before implementing them.

Execution will be key. Fingers crossed!

Over promised and under delivered. EA released a broken game, that lacks basic features and ignores the saga's legacy, while trying to copy CoD and Fortnite.
Of course it sold under expectations. Seriously, what did EA thought would happen?
How does a CEO that earns millions, not understand that a subpar product will sell less.
The way EA has been managed, if it wasn't the billions from Fifa and Madden, it would have already gone under. It's just big failure after failure.

They totally half a$$ed this game. They put out an unfinished, poorly optimized, uninspiring turd show of a game and knew it. This is the problem with EA and one of the reason they are hated the way they are. They just spit in everyone's face...hope this hurts.

Not their fault tbh.

The reason they release games in such a sorry state is b/c whales like "Quantum Physics" the guy with the 5 or 6 RTX 3k GPUs buy them and would buy absolutely anything at all sans any kind of vetting.

Next time you try to blame Software Companies think of consumers like Quantum Physics.

If I could get a refund, I would now, absolutely no word on removing the terrible heroes system and bringing back the BF staple Class System. Which means they aren't really listening and they have no intention of "realising the full potential of this game and fully committed to our Battlefield fans".

Very few fans wanted the heroes system and even fewer like it, the reason people played Battlefield was, in part, the distinct Class system vs all the other CoD clones and Battle Royal's out there.

EA literally fired a bunch of the original battlefield developers and then hired a bunch of COD developers to work on it. Name it something else and then charge $20, it's not a bad game, but it isn't a battlefield game.

Although I've been enjoying the game - overall, the biggest disappointments to me are:

#1 the maps are huge, but maybe too huge and it's hard to coordinate with squads and the team to attack an objective. It felt easier to tag things in Battlefield 3 and 4.

#2 My weapon attachments disappear every now and then when I play the game from day to day. What's the point of unlocking new attachments if they disappear?

#3 The NTW .50 has the lowest range. Why?

#4 The maps in many cases aren't as fun as Battlefield 4's. You can't even start a jet or Helicopter on the ground like Battlefield 3 or 4.

#5 I should be able to be a MALE character and still have access to my wingsuit.

Not their fault tbh.

The reason they release games in such a sorry state is b/c whales like "Quantum Physics" the guy with the 5 or 6 RTX 3k GPUs buy them and would buy absolutely anything at all sans any kind of vetting.

Next time you try to blame Software Companies think of consumers like Quantum Physics.
That is not an excuse to make a crap product. That only enables them to get away with it to some degree. However that appears to not be working this time around.

But your whole view is just odd to me really. Reminds me of a guy one time who told me the drug cartels are innocent because people by the dugs and so the cartel was not to blame. Seriously how backward do you have to be to think that way? Sure, the consumer is part of the problem but to remove the devs from any responsibility is backward.

I enjoyed it a bit when it came out. Got it for the PC for $90... totally waste of money imo. But I was hyped since I loved BF games from before. To make matters worst I bought it twice at launch cause my son wanted it to. So lost $180.

That is not an excuse to make a crap product. That only enables them to get away with it to some degree. However that appears to not be working this time around.

But your whole view is just odd to me really. Reminds me of a guy one time who told me the drug cartels are innocent because people by the dugs and so the cartel was not to blame. Seriously how backward do you have to be to think that way? Sure, the consumer is part of the problem but to remove the devs from any responsibility is backward.
kinda is cus if people are willing to pay for preorders it makes no difference to the company if its good or half assed.

Been waiting for that sequel to match bf2 which still play now and then, had high hopes for 2142 but not even tried it yet and all interest has gone nearly bought via epicstore as was discounted aswell as a voucher on there but with possibility of f2p now will wait for it.

kinda is cus if people are willing to pay for preorders it makes no difference to the company if its good or half assed.
The consumer contributes to the problem by supporting a bad product but the game is not made by the consumer. The "developer" makes the game...that is why they are called the "developer".
I could do a poor job at my place on employment because they allow me to get away with it. But if I got called out I can't say "I don't take pride in my job or do good work because I get away with it".
No, that makes you a lazy turd of an employee who does crap work and takes no pride in what you do. You can't pass that off on someone else just because you CAN get away with it.

In the past few years, I've yet to read some positive news about EA, still, I see a lot of people buy or even pre-order their games. You get fooled 10 times and you still expect not to get fooled again. How does that keep happening?

The consumer contributes to the problem by supporting a bad product but the game is not made by the consumer. The "developer" makes the game...that is why they are called the "developer".
I could do a poor job at my place on employment because they allow me to get away with it. But if I got called out I can't say "I don't take pride in my job or do good work because I get away with it".
No, that makes you a lazy turd of an employee who does crap work and takes no pride in what you do. You can't pass that off on someone else just because you CAN get away with it.
Rage all you want but EA has no motivation to do the right thing as long as their pockets continue to be lined.

Rage all you want but EA has no motivation to do the right thing as long as their pockets continue to be lined.
I'm not in a rage lol...just pointing out that what is being said makes no sense.

You can't just blame the consumers for a product that they didn't make. There is some fault on the consumers but my first reply was because he said "it's not their fault"...speaking about Dice/EA. That just makes no sense at all. Customers did not ask for a turd of a game nor did they make the game. Game development is not the responsibility of the consumer....that belongs to Dice/EA. Consumers are guilty of allowing it but not creating it.

That's what happens when you rush a product to market, hoping it will be a hit when it's just a flop. Looks like they need a new development and design team leader ...... and more incentive!

In the past few years, I've yet to read some positive news about EA...
It Takes Two is a fantastic game, I actually thought EA were about to (Anime style) redemption arc the whole gaming community, but nope, it was just a one off decent game EA published. Only produced rubbish since.

Any consumer can choose how to spend their money. You see a bad game, that doesn't mean that other consumers do.
Never try to tell someone how to spend their money or what they should spend it on cause every single one will tell you to f off.

You can voice your opinion but telling others what they should do or how to spend is a no go. You do you, don't worry about what others want to do with their money, time or who they choose to support.

It Takes Two is a fantastic game, I actually thought EA were about to (Anime style) redemption arc the whole gaming community, but nope, it was just a one off decent game EA published. Only produced rubbish since.
I guess it got drowned out by all the negative stuff.

I guess it got drowned out by all the negative stuff.
I saw it published by EA and just ignored it. Only because my girlfriend got it because its a co-op game did we start playing through and realised it might be one of the best games released in years, certainly the best co-op game I'd played in a long long time.

Makes you wonder if it would have gotten more recognition by self-publishing rather than going through EA.

Any consumer can choose how to spend their money. You see a bad game, that doesn't mean that other consumers do.
Never try to tell someone how to spend their money or what they should spend it on cause every single one will tell you to f off.

You can voice your opinion but telling others what they should do or how to spend is a no go. You do you, don't worry about what others want to do with their money, time or who they choose to support.
I agree with you. My only point is that the games quality is the responsibility of the devs. That said, BF2042 is a bit of a train wreak and it's obvious they were going for a cash grab as the game was far from finished. Hopefully it's cleaned up.

By going "woke", do you mean you got triggered by them adding non-white character models and even females?
I think he means them shoehorning diversity into a game where it didn't make sense.

And then of course telling everyone if they don't like it then don't buy it....that always goes well.

Last edited:
Back