Battlefield 4 showcased in 17-minute gameplay trailer

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Electronic Arts took the stage at the annual Game Developers Conference this week to showcase a live demo of Battlefield 4, the latest version in the popular first-person shooter franchise. Dice, the game’s publisher, said the title will arrive this fall on the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

In the event you weren’t on hand at GDC to see the live gaming action, fret not as EA released a 17-minute gameplay trailer that includes everything you’d expect from a Battlefield game. Realistic visuals and potty-mouth soldiers are shown engaging in combat shortly after the intro featuring Bonnie Tyler’s “Total Eclipse of the Heart” wraps up.

Dice said the video gives an exclusive look at the game’s vehicular combat, dynamic destructible environments and the chaos of all-out war. A blog post said the franchise has long been known for award-winning multiplayer but this time around, they are bringing elements from multiplayer into the single player campaign.

A post on the game’s website notes Battlefield 4 is a genre-defining action blockbuster created from moments that blur the line between game and glory.

The game isn’t expected to come to the Wii U but will likely show up on the PlayStation 4 later this year. Microsoft hasn’t announced the Xbox 720 yet but we would be shocked if Battlefield 4 isn't offered on Microsoft’s next generation system.

The title is available now for pre-order at $60 for the standard edition. A digital deluxe version is available for PC gamers for $70. Those who pre-order will receive a premium expansion pack free of charge, we’re told.

Permalink to story.

I cant wait! I just hope I can get around to building a PC that can handle it over the summer.

Why does it feel like it's going to be an expansion pack to BF3. I won't pre order this one until they I see some beta or the final product. I want to see some new features that take full advantage of the newest video cards.

Why does it feel like it's going to be an expansion pack to BF3. I won't pre order this one until they I see some beta or the final product. I want to see some new features that take full advantage of the newest video cards.
That isnt what necessarily is irking me, but instead how there are the same sound effects, same jeeps, and same reloading animations as in BF3. They better bring better guns and more vehicles in BF4, otherwise it will be a failure.

That isnt what necessarily is irking me, but instead how there are the same sound effects, same jeeps, and same reloading animations as in BF3. They better bring better guns and more vehicles in BF4, otherwise it will be a failure.

Yeah, I take but the graphics and I definitely agree with you... What is going to happen with the maps from BF3, I wonder. There good maps, my wish is that they would add them to BF4 but I'm sure it isn't going to happen.

Yeah, I take but the graphics and I definitely agree with you... What is going to happen with the maps from BF3, I wonder. There good maps, my wish is that they would add them to BF4 but I'm sure it isn't going to happen.
I wont be surprised if Metro makes a return. But for a new engine, there should be new sounds and reloading animations. Hopefully that gets upgraded by the time the alpha comes. But notice in the trailer when they are in the window, and they are shooting down into the street, the scenery is a big upgrade from BF3. BF3 was just concrete buildings... the new scenery is actually legit glass and buildings.

Don't look like much has changed from BF3.

And they better offer something like a seasons pass for the DLC like borderlands 2 does.

I bought the limited edition of BF3 for them just to release a premium version later which I did not pickup. I was not going to pay $120 total cost to play BF3 with all maps I'm sorry EA GTFO.

I've gotten use to non dedicated servers but they need to bring back voice chat in this version or it will be the first BF game I don't buy.

The video looks good... although I'm a bit disappointed to still see the same old console-friendly automatic muzzle climb compensation after firing your weapon. I understand it for consoles, its hard to make small, accurate movements quickly. But on PC with a mouse, its easy. In real life your gun doesn't just automatically line right back up on target like it does in the game. You have to get back on target... it should be this way in a realism based military shooter in my opinion.

Anyway, I like some of the BF3 maps as well and would love to see them in BF4. Similar to how EA handled NFS Shift 2, it included all the same tracks that were in NFS Shift 1. Keep all the maps, keep all the guns, just add a ton more maps and guns. That way we can carry on playing BF3 in BF4 without having to have two games installed. Not to mention every new game feels a bit different, so switching back and forth between BF3 and BF4 may take some practice. Similar to those of us who still play BFBC2 and BF3. I like many of the maps in BC2 but they aren't in BF3 :-(

I will say though that the graphics and gameplay in this trailer look excellent... I'm looking forward to this. I enjoy single player and hope this campaign will be a lot longer than the BF3 one which was a bit short in my opinion.

... although I'm a bit disappointed to still see the same old console-friendly automatic muzzle climb compensation after firing your weapon. I understand it for consoles, its hard to make small, accurate movements quickly. But on PC with a mouse, its easy. In real life your gun doesn't just automatically line right back up on target like it does in the game. You have to get back on target... it should be this way in a realism based military shooter in my opinion.

Do you have an example of a PC shooter that does this? I've played most of them and can't think of any...

... although I'm a bit disappointed to still see the same old console-friendly automatic muzzle climb compensation after firing your weapon. I understand it for consoles, its hard to make small, accurate movements quickly. But on PC with a mouse, its easy. In real life your gun doesn't just automatically line right back up on target like it does in the game. You have to get back on target... it should be this way in a realism based military shooter in my opinion.

Do you have an example of a PC shooter that does this? I've played most of them and can't think of any...

I believe ArmA 2 does that, correct me if I'm wrong though

EA announcement-
"AMD and EA DICE are proud partners in gaming, with a recent history
that includes the award-winning Battlefield 3 in 2011. That relationship
continues today with the world?s first public demonstration of
Battlefield 4, powered by the AMD Radeon? HD 7990?the world?s fastest
graphics card! Today?s unveiling not only demonstrates the commitment EA
DICE makes to state-of-the-art PC graphics, it stands as further proof
that the critically-acclaimed Graphics Core Next architecture in the AMD
Radeon? HD 7000 Series is the best choice for truly advanced PC games."

battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/preorder/

legitreviews.com/news/15327/

The cool thing to me as at some points the graphical quality looks similar to that of a vray render.

Well that's kind of my point, just about all PC shooter games have this auto muzzle climb compensation after you stop firing. It is a "feature" that came from consoles, for the reason I mentioned originally. This "feature" isn't necessary when using a mouse, and is unrealistic. But who cares you may ask? Well probably not many, but those of us with military experience or those who have simply fired firearms before, know that your natural reaction to muzzle climb is to pull the firearm down to compensate (pulling the mouse down in the game as well). When you do this in the game of course and then stop firing, your crosshairs are then pointed way below the target. Just a thing you have to get used to, but incredibly annoying to those of us that care.

I dont see how much they can really improve in the engine to call it a whole new version. I wanna see BF5 in DX12.

JC7, its similiar to other cases that once you know your way around the engine you can use it much more efficiently and in ways you didnt know you could before.

JC7, its similiar to other cases that once you know your way around the engine you can use it much more efficiently and in ways you didnt know you could before.
True, optimization is key. But I feel like it should have been named 2.5, they shouldnt have jumped to 3.

Ok look at 10:5 to 10:17 when he is reloading the GL. 3 rounds go. 6 magically appear in the gun

Better graphics but still the same boring game. I need a game that challenges me

I just watched the bf1942 gameplay and it was the versitility between the tanks on bridges, jeeps on the beech, all that good stuff that made 1942 so much fun. The trailer looks to be of a different gameplay.

I dont see how much they can really improve in the engine to call it a whole new version. I wanna see BF5 in DX12.

Who cares what DICE calls it. It's amazing is what it is. What game looks better? Did you see that explosion... in-game? The foliage and mo-cap are top notch, and the iron sights next to a scope has never been done in a game. And to me it looks like the blue tint is gone. The only thing missing is in-game Voip.

Back