Battlefield V will take gamers back to World War II

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The next entry in EA’s popular Battlefield series will take gamers back to World War II, the same setting Activision used in the most recent Call of Duty game. That’s not necessarily a bad thing considering WWII was the best-selling Call of Duty game since the franchise peaked in 2012 with Black Ops II.

Sources familiar with the matter say the game, referred to internally as Battlefield 2 until a recent name change, will be called Battlefield V. It’ll be an entirely new game, not a remaster of 2005’s Battlefield 2 as the former internal name may suggest.

EA is expected to announce the game soon and launch it later this year, likely around the same time Activision drops its next Call of Duty game.

Speaking of, industry insider Marcus Sellars said last month that Treyarch is working on the next Call of Duty game. Dubbed Black Ops 4, the entry will be set in modern-day with “boots on the ground” combat when it arrives in November on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC. A port for Nintendo’s Switch is also being developed by a company familiar with CoD games, Sellars added.

A rumor from December claiming DICE is working on Battlefield: Bad Company 3 – set during the Vietnam War – is inaccurate, VentureBeat claims. If EA is considering a Bad Company sequel, it won’t happen anytime soon, the site says.

Battlefield 1’s final DLC, Apocalypse, launched in February.

Permalink to story.

Yawn. Another WWII game, which will play like every recent battlefield or CoD game.

A rumor from December claiming DICE is working on Battlefield: Bad Company 3 – set during the Vietnam War – is inaccurate, VentureBeat claims. If EA is considering a Bad Company sequel, it won’t happen anytime soon, the site says.

Of course, lets not put effort into the game people are looking forward to and want, intead we'll churn out more bland garbage.

Bad Company never going to happen.... :(
I really enjoyed bad company/2. Was the first game I fell in love with when I got my 360, was still putting like 6-10 hours into BF2 at that time. Was really looking forward to BFBC2 on PC and wasn't disappointed one bit with it, still play from time to time today. But looking at how they changed BF1 from how BF3/BF4 played I would prefer they don't make a BC3 at this point, they are going to mess it up, and I won't like playing it. By the time they could get the third one out it will have been 9 maybe 10 years since the 2nd launched, just let them them rest in peace.

I knew it! Now will it be as good as BF1942 that is the question. Also will they use the same music I certainly hope so.

Yawn. Another WWII game, which will play like every recent battlefield or CoD game.

Of course, lets not put effort into the game people are looking forward to and want, intead we'll churn out more bland garbage.

You can't compare CoD to BF, CoD is just arcade **** compared to BF... I am looking forward to this... had many many hours of fun in the last cpl BF games.

I really enjoyed bad company/2. Was the first game I fell in love with when I got my 360, was still putting like 6-10 hours into BF2 at that time. Was really looking forward to BFBC2 on PC and wasn't disappointed one bit with it, still play from time to time today. But looking at how they changed BF1 from how BF3/BF4 played I would prefer they don't make a BC3 at this point, they are going to mess it up, and I won't like playing it. By the time they could get the third one out it will have been 9 maybe 10 years since the 2nd launched, just let them them rest in peace.

Me too but on PS3, ripped through both story modes and played the hell out of BC2’s multiplayer

To those who missed BF1, you just passed off the best FPS war game in all of 2 decades. Its by no means perfect but the attention to detail, the graphics and the scale of the warfare is unparralled. They just have to work on banning the cheaters more. Cheers!

Too bad they're going to ruin it with loot boxes. Games aren't even fun anymore because being good doesn't earn you anything.

Videogames are basically participation trophies that you have to pay for.
The struggle is half the fun.

When your sniper takes 3 shots to kill but every enemy can 1 shot u with their sniper cause you didn't upgrade loot boxes GG. loot boxes have ruined every game, only Valve has done loot boxes correctly which is keep loot boxes to skins and nothing more!.

BF1 felt like a step back to me, BF3 & BF4 both had their Pro's and Con's but had a huge replayability feel. I got bored of BF1 after a few weeks.

When your sniper takes 3 shots to kill but every enemy can 1 shot u with their sniper cause you didn't upgrade loot boxes GG. loot boxes have ruined every game, only Valve has done loot boxes correctly which is keep loot boxes to skins and nothing more!.

BF1 loot boxes are just skins, so....

BF1 felt like a step back to me, BF3 & BF4 both had their Pro's and Con's but had a huge replayability feel. I got bored of BF1 after a few weeks.

I can see that. I usually play a lot for a week or so, then take a break for a week or two.

I can see that. I usually play a lot for a week or so, then take a break for a week or two.
Mine is more spread out than that, I go back to it every few months have a couple of games and again I'm bored. It also seems the typical case where the new DLC guns are OP and original guns may as well fire nerf rounds. Not just that, every single person using a machine gun and not being a medic/support just seems broken on this one.

For the life of me I can't figure out how this story is getting so much mainstream attention.

This is where this comes from: https://imgur.com/a/N8gAi#5ovWXTm

I'm not saying the next BF won't be WWII-based (I think there's a good chance it will be), but people are reporting this like it's a fact. This guy says that there are only 3 maps done and they are in very, very early stages. The game comes out in a few months. That's simply not possible.

Also, 100% German campaign? Again, I'm not saying that's impossible but that's highly unlikely. I couldn't even imagine how they'd market that.

This game better have two things for me to be interested:

Proper naval battles gameplay
Decent VR support

I doubt either will happen... I'm betting it will just be a copy of CoD with a little BF sprinkled on top.

This game better have two things for me to be interested:

Proper naval battles gameplay
Decent VR support

I doubt either will happen... I'm betting it will just be a copy of CoD with a little BF sprinkled on top.
BF1 introduced large-scale naval battles with one of the BF1 DLCs. Dreadnoughts, destroyers, boats, airships, planes...it's a great demonstration of what they could do with WW2 since they'd have more options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAhqu_yc8Qc

I hate it when politics shapes movies, documentaries and video games. Stop talking about the freaking WWII. Nobody is interested in it anymore. Except certain people who think they deserve to get money from Germany for the next 5000 years. As if they are the only ones who ever suffered. If that was the case, then we should also have games about Native Americans and Palestinians, who suffered a lot longer. 60 millions of Native Americans were exterminated. That was the real Holocaust. Everything else was peanuts compared to that.

Those who love WWII can read the books and watch the old movies all they want, but they shouldn't terrorize the rest of us with their frustrations. Every kid wants modern warfare, modern battlefield, modern weapons. But those bastards have to stick politics into everything. Even though the movies and games about WWII aren't as profitable as those with more modern script, but politics and propaganda is more important to them than money.

Last edited:
I hate it when politics shapes movies, documentaries and video games. Stop talking about the freaking WWII. Nobody is interested in it anymore. Except certain people who think they deserve to get money from Germany for the next 5000 years. As if they are the only ones who ever suffered. If that was the case, then we should also have games about Native Americans and Palestinians, who suffered a lot longer. 60 millions of Native Americans were exterminated. That was the real Holocaust. Everything else was peanuts compared to that.

Those who love WWII can read the books and watch the old movies all they want, but they shouldn't terrorize the rest of us with their frustrations. Every kid wants modern warfare, modern battlefield, modern weapons. But those bastards have to stick politics into everything. Even though the movies and games about WWII aren't as profitable as those with more modern script, but politics and propaganda is more important to them than money.

I think you're the one bringing the politics into it.

Back