Be cautious with account details

DjKraid

I have seen loads of people here who have been giving away (for example) steam games and keys which is really nice. However those who want the games/keys really often post their steam account name (login name) or e-mail adr. directly as a reply to the original thread instead of sending the details directly to the user who is giving the game away. This means that there are loads of login details just laying around waiting for a hijacker, so it's like a buffet for them which isn't good in any way.
There are loads of bugs, glitches and workarounds for hackers and hijackers to use so that they can "steal" anyones account with only the username or e-mail. This means that if your account gets hacked/hijacked you will lose all your items and tradable games that you have plus in addition to that, if you have any credit card details stored up in steam then that might also get compromised!

So, please DON'T post any usernames or anything even remotely related to that anywhere so that anyone can see it!

If you want to post anything then you can copy-paste the URL to your account and post it or then just send a PM (Private Message) to the user that you want to get in touch with.

P.S. If you need any help regarding anything related to hacked/hijacked accounts or scammed items/games then you feel free to post below and I'll help you out.

I can sticky it for awhile but the OP in one of the DOTA 2 threads has specifically stated more than once not to post user IDs, yet they continue to do so. If they can't be bothered to read the thread itself, it seems unlikely they will read a sticky.

I can sticky it for awhile but the OP in one of the DOTA 2 threads has specifically stated more than once not to post user IDs, yet they continue to do so. If they can't be bothered to read the thread itself, it seems unlikely they will read a sticky.

True.

Since its good advice, will we (I) get in trouble for bumping it? I know nothing about steam games, but am familiar with NOT posting username/passwords in a forum or online.

#mailpup - you have a point there with "not bothering to read the entire thread". However when people scroll through forums the topic title is the thing which attracts, so, if people read the title then hopefully at least something gets stickied in their head. Therefor I think it would be good to have this up there so that all users would at least see and hopefully notice the advice :)

P.S. I'm an admin in a gaming community and help (scammed and hijacked) victims almost on a daily basis, that's why I also posted this here.

Thanks for the caution.
I'm a steam newbie so I don't know other extra security measures to consider.
I only knew a few weeks ago that steam has this "verification" step in which an account must be verified if accessed from another computer.
(I already verified my account but I don't know the purpose before then)

Thanks for the caution.
I'm a steam newbie so I don't know other extra security measures to consider.
I only knew a few weeks ago that steam has this "verification" step in which an account must be verified if accessed from another computer.
(I already verified my account but I don't know the purpose before then)

That was "Steam Guard", it's meant to somehow reduce the risk of being hijacked/hacked but as we all know most normal people has the same password to steam as to the e-mail account where steam is registered to. Also, steam guard has to be enabled for at least 15days before you are able to trade so if someone manages to hijack/hack an account and disables steam guard then at least the items in the accounts inventory are safe.

Also a good thing to know, there is no such thing as free games to steam and steam never gives out any "special limited time offers" with free games or what ever. Oh, and then, if you are planning on going in to trading then feel free to add me :D

Back