Belkin intros new line of wireless routers with built-in apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Belkin has launched a new range of routers which it claims are capable of doing more than just silently connect devices in your network. The new Surf, Share, Play, and Play Max are the first routers to embrace the concept of apps, with each model bundling different sets of utilities to handle things like playing music, games, and HD videos as well as share photos and print wirelessly from anywhere in your home.

Apps include Memory Safe for backing up photos and files to a USB hard disk, Print Genie for printing to a USB-connected printer, Music Mover for playing music through an audio streaming device like an Xbox 360, Daily DJ for custom playlists based on your mood, Torrent Genie for downloading files when your computer isn't on, and Bit Boost to prioritize traffic on your network for video, gaming, or VoIP.

Granted, you can already do all this with other software using wireless routers or NAS devices currently on the market, but Belkin claims that they make the job much easier for novice users. The routers will cost from $50-$130, depending on the model chosen. All models have pre-set wireless security and incorporate Belkin's dual-plane antenna positioning, along a "unique implementation of MIMO technology" to provide a consistent signal, even through walls and floors.

Permalink to story.

If they can package these in an easy to use format for those prices i would certainly consider as i would certainly like to add wireless printing, music streaming, and VoIP prioritization.

I guess they have dropped the Double Belkin N Plus model was a dual band version of the popular Belkin N Plus wireless router. I wonder what's under the hood of these 3 new additions? I own 2x Belkin N Plus they both have AP only Mode, very good extra security, NPU 266MHz, 32MB, 832KB Gig Packet Buffer ports, USB network port for like WD Passport USB HDD of USB SDHC Card Reader/Writer, USB Jump Drive an etc. Under Network you would see under Windows 7 a icon for Belkin like you would see for your workgroup name. I would like to know how these compare with overhaul speed and performance, now since the Dual Wireless ANT are gone and everything is internal for 802.11N Certified.

I hope that they get their act together. I have a Belkin Home Base device and it's a touch flaky. The device goes off-line every other week and needs to be unplugged to clear up the issue. Belkin should throw in a background task to check it's health, and fix any stalled processes. Also their software isn't detecting a job sent to the printer spooler and auto-attaching the printer like it should. If they plan on using the same app's that are in the Home Base appliance for these routers, they will need some more refining before they're a solid and reliable product.

They sound like some really nice devices and I am in the market for a new router soon myself.

But IMO they look ugly and that would put me off purchasing on of these.

I have to say that I have never liked belkin much. dealt with a few of their routers and they always seem to act up for me.

Might be kinda nice for less tech-savy ppl, but so far my 5+ yr old WTR54G Linksys router has severed me just fine. Stream all sorts of media to my PS3 via PS3 Media server.

If i'm reading the article right there are going to be a LOT of different models with different apps and capabilities, if this is aimed at novice users isn't that pretty counter-intuitive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back