Belkin takes on Slingbox with @TVPlus media streamer

Jos

Staff

Belkin has unveiled a set-top box device designed to take on Slingbox’s place-shifting receiver, allowing you to stream your home television content to any computer, tablet or smartphones. The @TVPlus hooks up to a media source, such as a digital cable box, satellite receiver or DVD player, and you can access that content from anywhere in the world and from a number of devices over Wi-Fi or a 3G/4G cellular connection.

The device can handle both standard and high-definition programming, though inputs and outputs are limited to component cables instead of HDMI. Belkin’s viewing software will be available on Windows, OS X, Android, and iOS — for free on desktops and tablets, $12.99 on smartphones.

belkin slingbox tvplus media streaming
belkin slingbox tvplus media streaming

The @TV mobile app features an easy-to-use channel guide with swipe surf that allows easy scrolling, and also lets users record live TV directly to their smartphone or tablet for offline viewing later.

Belkin says the @TVPlus feature set is comparable to the Slingbox Pro-HD, which retails for $299, however the company’s place-shifting solution will set you back $150 when it arrives in mid-July.

Permalink to story.

!!!WOW!!!

I could see this cr*p sitting on store shelves for a very long time!

Placeshifting is an old technology. Slingbox actually has been around awhile with competition but slingbox was the only affordable method. The way they get around lawsuits is that only one device can access it at a time, so there isn't a way to use this to exploit tour cable bill.

No HDMI, seriously? And attempting to charge me for the smartphone client to even view the content too? Gah. I'll pass.

I love my Slingbox but it only works for 24 hours maximum before the connection craps out because only a direct ethernet connection works correctly on it. This box is native wireless. I've ordered one and I'm hoping I enjoy it.

Back