Best Buy makes RTX 3000 restock exclusive to $200-per-year Totaltech members

midian182

Staff member
WTF?! It seems that scalpers aren’t the only ones exploiting people desperate to buy a new RTX graphics card: Best Buy is doing it as well. The retail giant had a restock of Ampere products yesterday, but the only way you could buy one was to become a member of its $200-per-year Totaltech program.

The Totaltech program offers several perks to members, including 24 months of product protection, free delivery and installation, free Geek Squad tech support, and more. It also offers "Access to exclusive Totaltech member prices," which appears to be where the locked GPUs fall under.

Twitter user @CameronRitz, who keeps track of graphics card and console restocks, yesterday noted that a restock of RTX 3000-series cards was coming into Best Buy, and that buying one meant signing up to the Totaltech program, adding $200 on top of the price.

“I feel like Best Buy is assuming if you’re spending X amount of dollars already on your GPU or PC what’s an extra $200 to you?” @CameronRitz tweeted.

Despite having to pay the Totaltech tax, the cards all sold out within the space of about four hours, which is still longer than most Ampere items last when they come into stores. We don’t know whether this was a one-time event or if all (or most) future RTX 3000 restocks will only be available to Totaltech members, though it’s easy to imagine the latter.

Retailers are already selling graphics cards for way above their MSRP, and you can expect to pay around double their recommended prices on reseller sites such as eBay, so Best Buy probably does believe people will have no issues with paying $200 just to buy something, even though it’s cynical and exploitative. You might have a 0.001% chance of being picked in the Newegg shuffle, but at least it’s free to take part.

Image credit: Miosotis_Jade

Permalink to story.

Pro tip best buy: you can get GPU scalpers to pay you a hell of a lot more than just 200 per year. Because really, who else is this going to help anyway?

EDIT: I also take some issue with that last line recommending Newegg for well, anything: Why would anyone trust or recommend a company that knowingly tries to scam customers selling damaged products they themselves know to be damaged because they submitted denied RMA claim to component manufacturers? Watch Tech Jesus 2 part piece on it: he confirmed Newegg took a damaged board, send it to mobo manufacturer, got denied the RMA and then tried to sell it as "open box" to get a customer stuck with the board they just didn't count on it being a tech youtuber.

Nothing shocking here, thought they would've done that sooner. Bestbuy is a publicly traded company that has to show financial growth every 3 months when it reports to share holders. This is an easy way to help with that, I mean $200 is an additional 15-20% of the cost of an expensive luxury item that sells out in minutes whenever it's available.

I expect this kind of crap from Apple, Nintendo, and Amazon, but not Best Buy. Best Buy, ethics matter... This is just despicable. Shame on you, Best Buy.

I expect this kind of crap from Apple, Nintendo, and Amazon, but not Best Buy. Best Buy, ethics matter... This is just despicable. Shame on you, Best Buy.
You don't expect it from Best Buy a company that tries to upsell every purchase with an "Extended Warranty"? Honestly, I doubt that Best Buy even knows the definition of "Ethics". IMO, Best Buy is great if you want to go and see something before you buy, however, I tend to go there only if other local retailers do not have something I want to see first.

There is a local A/V/Photo store that I like to go to. Frequently, they have prices that are lower than Best Buy. I was told by a salesman that I have worked with for 20+ years and explicitly trust, that one time there were two people from Best Buy in their store and those two were wondering how they could undercut Best Buy pricing. I don't know that this tells you anything you are able to believe, but Best Buy - Ethical? I think the term, applied to Best Buy, is an oxymoron.

I expect this kind of crap from Best Buy; to me, its no surprise that they would do something like this.

Even ignoring the scummyness of this, the subscriptions seem really bad value for money as its own product.
Absolutely. Their subscription is about as worthless as their rewards club if you are not one to spend all your extra cash with them.

EDIT: Maybe a subscription like this is good for some tech-clueless soul who needs help with figuring out where the "any" key is on their keyboard. :laughing:

You don't expect it from Best Buy a company that tries to upsell every purchase with an "Extended Warranty"? Honestly, I doubt that Best Buy even knows the definition of "Ethics". IMO, Best Buy is great if you want to go and see something before you buy, however, I tend to go there only if other local retailers do not have something I want to see first.

There is a local A/V/Photo store that I like to go to. Frequently, they have prices that are lower than Best Buy. I was told by a salesman that I have worked with for 20+ years and explicitly trust, that one time there were two people from Best Buy in their store and those two were wondering how they could undercut Best Buy pricing. I don't know that this tells you anything you are able to believe, but Best Buy - Ethical? I think the term, applied to Best Buy, is an oxymoron.

I expect this kind of crap from Best Buy; to me, its no surprise that they would do something like this.
I don't consider any national retailer as "ethical". We always have to choose the lesser of all the available evils. However, every time I've had a problem with a product I bought from Best Buy, I've been able to return it for a refund or exchange, no questions asked and no excuses. I've had them give me gift cards for my troubles, and have also had them bend the rules regarding price matches. You simply don't get that kind of service from any large online retailer.

I wish there were a small, independent dealer like you have near me, but there isn't, which is the case for most of us. There is a Micro Center 120 miles away, and I have done a lot of business with them as well. They have always provided a level of service similar to what I've experienced at Best Buy.

There is ultimately a war for our data, attention and our money.

I see nothing wrong with giving first-come-first serve basis to BBY members - the same as "Microcenter Insiders". That is a way to get you on their individual newsletters and keep track of your interests in their products.

That said: it should be free. There is NOTHING at BBY worth $200 a year.

There is no reason whatsoever to be a member with BBY.

And I worked there in 05', so I know.

Just means scalpers will charge even more after having to pay the extra 200 to BB. And the miners who buy the rest probably don't mind the 'Worst Buy Tax'.

Last edited:
@ Best Buy,
Guess who I'm now boycotting? You're welcome. If you're going to act like losers, you're going to be treated like losers. Good luck with that.

Back