Best Buy now buying used games in stores

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Jumpstarting its second-hand game business, Best Buy has expanded its online trade-in program to nearly 600 stores with more locations coming soon. Beginning this Sunday, August 29, you'll be able to haul your pre-owned games to a participating store, waltz up to the customer service desk, and fork them over for a Best Buy gift card.

More than 100 popular titles will supposedly fetch $20, with many others valued for less. Joystiq notes that the store offers an online estimator, but it may not offer the most fair or accurate number. For instance, Alpha Protocol is priced at $27, while Mass Effect 2 is only $8.

Best Buy's move comes at an awkward point in the used games market. Many studios have been criticizing the practice of reselling games and are developing measures to profit from second-hand sales. It's also worth mentioning that GameStop recently said it disliked being in the used games business, while just yesterday, Target announced a similar exchange program for games and other electronics.

Permalink to story.

Damn, I used to think Best Buy had some sort of standards. $8 for Mass Effect 2 yet they turn around and sell it for $20-$35. Hopefully Newegg doesn't get into these marketing scams or I'll have nowhere to buy my computer hardware.

EA, Activision, and ubi make up a lot of games! EA have got better recently. They still have far to go. Activision well, Im not buying as game by them (tho ill buy whatever Bungie make) THQ. Meh there ok. I buy most PC games via Steam so can't resell em, but if a games good I don't sell. Hell with xbox 360 games the thing eats disks so u end up buying 3/4 copys!

For GameStop to say they hate their most lucrative line of business is ridiculous. From the age of Funcoland they have been capitalizing on resale of games. That is the only reason why the game stores can stay open. The profit margins are big enough to keep them afloat. I wonder how they measure the value of a game; if that were transparent to the gamer selling his game, maybe we would trust them more. Some people would be better off selling their games on eBay or Craig’s list. Also, their might be legal ramifications regarding the publishers selling games and recharging for use of the game. I suppose the publishers would have to name the rechargeable aspect of the game in such a way that they state it is a non-transferable lifetime subscription or something to that affect.

kg363 said:
who's left?
Valve? lol

Well..at least Valve doesn't treat their customers like crap.

THQ is trying to see how many times it can sell the Brooklyn Bridge.

Next, other business will be adopting this form of consumer extortion.

Recycling is a great moneysaver - however, Vista 64 won't play most, nor will Win7. I know, because I have about 60 xp games and 9 new for Vista, none of which will play, nor can I get answers on a fix. Brand new computer with all the whistles.

Back