Best Buy reveals Alder Lake non-K 65W CPU prices

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Best Buy has revealed, presumably by accident, the prices of several non-K Alder Lake CPUs ahead of Intel’s official unveiling at CES. They range from the low-end Pentium G6900 and reach the Core i9-12900.

Regular leaker @momomo_us tweeted Best Buy’s listings, which have now been removed from the retailer’s website. While it appears not every SKU in the upcoming non-K Alder Lake series is included, there are still 12 processors ranging from $59.99 to $529.99.

At the bottom of the price scale are the Pentium G7400 and the Pentium G6900, priced at $59.99 and $79.99, respectively. The other chips include i3, i5, i7, and i9 models, with the Core i9-12900 the priciest offering at $529.99—$60 cheaper than the unlocked 12900K’s $589 MSRP. Buyers could save more by opting for the F version (no integrated GPU) of the flagship, which is $509.99.

Best Buy’s full price list:

• Core i9-12900 - $529.99
  • Core i9-12900F - $509.99
  • Core i7-12700 - $359.99
  • Core i7-12700F - $329.99
  • Core i5-12600 - $239.99
  • Core i5-12500 - $219.99
  • Core i5-12400 - $209.99
  • Core i5-12400F - $179.99
  • Core i3-12100 - $139.99
  • Core i3-12100F - $109.99
  • Pentium G7400 - $79.99
  • Pentium G6900 - $59.99

As previously reported, these locked, 65W versions of Alder Lake have lower clock speeds compared to their K-version counterparts, but the 12900 (8-P/8-E) and 12700 (8-P/4-E) have the same number of Performance and Efficiency cores.

The rest of the lineup lacks Alder Lake’s efficiency cores, with the Core i5-12600 down to the Core i5-12400F all featuring 6 performance cores/12 threads. The two i3 models have four performance cores/eight threads, while the Pentiums have two P-cores/four threads.

Thanks to someone buying one in Peru, we recently saw the RM1 stock cooler (above) Intel is bundling with these chips. But those purchasing an i9 CPU will get the larger RH1 cooler (below).

Intel is expected to announce the non-K Alder Lake CPUs during its CES press conference taking place at 10 am PST on January 5. The processors look set to launch alongside the budget-orientated B660 and H610 motherboards soon after the event finishes.

Permalink to story.

The interesting question is this: once there's an actual fair fight with intel at least approaching the power level consumption of the 5600x will the 12600whateverthisskugetsnamed be still so "dominant" over the 5600x?

For non-nerds however, the good news is that this means intel is finally ready to certify the lower end motherboards that don't require a 200 bucks investment to have a robust enough power delivery system to support monster hungry Alder Lake processors so it might actually be possible to find a modest, 120-150 bucks robust motherboard with ddr4 so the price savings of Alder Lake vs AMD everyone praises can finally materialize in an actual price reduction regular people can access.

The interesting question is this: once there's an actual fair fight with intel at least approaching the power level consumption of the 5600x will the 12600whateverthisskugetsnamed be still so "dominant" over the 5600x?
Well, yeah. The 12600k is notably faster then the 5600x, and if you dont allow unlimited boosting its power draw is already comparable. The 12400/f will be noticeably better in the boosting department.

For non-nerds however, the good news is that this means intel is finally ready to certify the lower end motherboards that don't require a 200 bucks investment to have a robust enough power delivery system to support monster hungry Alder Lake processors so it might actually be possible to find a modest, 120-150 bucks robust motherboard with ddr4 so the price savings of Alder Lake vs AMD everyone praises can finally materialize in an actual price reduction regular people can access.
All that to say "cheaper boards are coming, good". You do know that "nerd" doesnt mean "suckass with more money then sense" right? The injection of non nerds into PC gaming is what has been driving up prices for years now, when non nerds avoided the PC was the era we got the $350 GTX 285.

That's battle between "never meant to be low power" Alder Lake and "never meant to be low power+emergency solution because GF failed once again" Zen3. Should I say, sad situation from dekstop user's POV...

Are the efficiency cores worth it in any of the i7/i9 skus? To me it's like running a second lower power GPU to render Geralt's hair (HairWorks).

All the games tests I’ve seen show the 12600k/12700k/12900k using less or similar power than Ryzen 5000 equivalents when playing games. But they use considerably more if you are stress testing (not gaming). So if you are a gamer Ryzen has no power consumption advantage and you also won’t need a monster motherboard for Alder lake.

There is already a fair fight between the 12600K and the 5600X and the 5600X lost. Literally the only thing it’s better than the 12600K is power consumption and even that in most actual use cases it’s the same. The 12600K is faster practically across the board and it’s cheaper. Yeah right now you only have the Z690 boards but they are better than X570 boards and it won’t be long until the cheaper boards arrive. Alder lake is very new still, it’s not even 2 months old.

Also, since when did nerds stop buying budget hardware?

Are the efficiency cores worth it in any of the i7/i9 skus? To me it's like running a second lower power GPU to render Geralt's hair (HairWorks).
I think you have answered your own question. If you don’t know if you need something, you probably don’t. But if it’s only marginally more expensive to get some then I would. But then I’m a sucker for building and wasting money on gaming PCs.

It seems like the efficiency cores would be more useful on skus with a lower number of power cores if the OS is optimized for them. Unless they are a different die than the i9 and i7 without efficiency cores.

Either way I'm hoping this drives down prices across the board and that the zen with 3d v-cache gives it a run for it's money. Competition again is good for everyone.

I like that cooling design. it wont get blocked for years and that's a good thing for people who never maintain their computers.

Back