Best Buy starts offering free shipping for the holiday season

Emil

Staff

Best Buy has caught the Walmart bug. What we mean to say is that Best Buy has decided Walmart's plan to offer free shipping for the holidays is such a good idea that the retailer has done the same. Until December 21, which by the way is one day later than Walmart's deal, BestBuy.com will feature free online shipping.

The offer is valid on hundreds of thousands of items, including all CDs, Blu-rays, DVD movies, as well as gaming software and accessories. While Walmart's free shipping promotion includes all electronics, Best Buy is excluding laptops, netbooks, iPads, iPods, game hardware, Dynex TVs, appliances, and other various items that require scheduled delivery. Best Buy also recently launched an enhanced Store Pickup Plus program, which includes benefits such as same-day pick-up in-store at no additional cost.

"We know consumers are looking for value and convenience this holiday season, and we're continuing to provide them with exciting ways to improve their shopping experience," John Thompson, senior vice president and general manager of BestBuy.com, said in a statement. "With free shipping and Store Pickup Plus, in addition to our wide selection of must-have technology gifts, competitive prices and round the clock service, we're giving our customers more choices than ever to complete their holiday shopping with ease."

Permalink to story.

I've purchased so much stuff online I've actually started paying attention to the shipping costs. I've seen prices on Amazon that are cheaper than say Best Buy, but the shipping puts the costs well over what Best Buy would so then I buy the item from Best Buy. Once you find the item you want it really only takes you as long as it would to actually drive to a store to find 5 other places offering for competing prices. Yay for no shipping and no in store pick up fee.

However, if you buy a LOT of stuff from Amazon, the Prime membership gets you free 2-day shipping on many things and cheap overnight. Pays for itself quickly in my experience.

Back