Bethesda announces reimagined 'Wolfenstein' action-adventure game

Shawn Knight

Staff member

bethesda wolfenstein xbox 720 playstation 4 nazis machine games wolfenstein the new order

Bethesda Softworks today revealed a reimagined, action-adventure version of the classic first-person shooter Wolfenstein. Known officially as Wolfenstein: The New Order, the “what if?” title puts players in control of an American war hero named B.J. Blazkowicz in a world where the Nazis won World War II.

The game is said to be set in the 1960s which has given the Nazis plenty of time to take over the entire planet. As the protagonist, you are tasked with launching what is described as an impossible counter-offensive that includes infiltrating Nazi camps and bringing the fight to them – using their “super weapons,” of course.

The game is being developed by Machine Games which itself was founded by former members of Starbreez (think The Darkness, Chronicles of Riddick) in 2009. It’s slated to hit the Xbox 360, PS3, PC and next generation consoles during the fourth quarter of this year – just in time for the holidays.

Interestingly enough, Bethesda VP of Marketing Peter Hines noted they are intentionally being secretive about next generation console availability. This likely just means he doesn’t want to name the next Xbox specifically but it could also mean that one of the two consoles could receive exclusive rights to the game.

We’ll keep an eye on Microsoft’s pending Xbox reveal to see if the game is demoed. If not, it’ll probably show up somewhere during E3. Until then, enjoy the trailer embedded above!

Permalink to story.

Hmmm, this isn't dev'd by Bethsoft either just published, they might be working on FO4 or ES6 as we speak.

Well... wow... the 60s... I wonder who is left on the planet? What does the populous look like in America and other nations after the ethnic cleansings??... Are there rebels to aid our hero ala Half Life...

I wonder if they will evade all those controversial trappings and just focus on the standard war gaming.

This is cool and it was unknown to me. I like these kind of surprises.

Back