Bethesda is changing the lore of Fallout 76 to make the game better

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In context: Fallout 76 launched with the tagline, “Our future begins.” The reason was, according to the lore, Vault 76 was the first vault to open. As such, players are thrust into a post-apocalyptic nuclear wasteland populated with the only things to have survived the nuclear holocaust outside the vaults — namely robots and mutant creatures.

Having no other human NPCs might have sounded good in development meetings, but it did not go over so well with fans. It equated to just another failure in a series of bad calls that would be the Fallout 76 release.

Despite fumbling through the beta, PR nightmares over merchandise, and the overall negative reception of the game Bethesda took a page out of Hello Games’ No Man’s Sky post-release playbook and said, “We won’t give up. We’ll fix this.” So far the fixes have not done much to maintain anything but a feeble but committed playerbase.

During its pre-E3 press event this weekend, Bethesda said that it was gearing up for its next big update for Fallout 76 called “Wastelanders,” which it claims will “fundamentally change the game.” The main change will be the addition of human NPCs.

"Nuclear Winter is taking Appalachia by Storm with the arrival of Patch 10. Gather your squad to compete in this all-new last-team-standing Battle Royale mode for Fallout 76. "

Since Fallout 76 is an on-going game, Bethesda used that to its advantage to change the lore in real time. A year has passed, and other NPC dwellers will show up in the Appalachia area bringing with them a new main quest, dialog choices with consequences, and new weapons and gear.

Wastelanders is not due out until the fall, but before that Bethesda will add a Battle Royale mode to the game. The 52-player free-for-all is called "Nuclear Winter." How Bethesda plans to make the BR mode relevant in an already over-saturated market is unclear, but we won’t have to wait long to find out.

Bethesda is letting players have a sneak peek at the battle royale mode from June 10-17. This trial is not just for the Nuclear Winter portion, but for the full game. Once the sneak peek concludes, players can choose to purchase Fallout 76 at a 50-percent discount.

The free trial is open to all Xbox One, PlayStation 4, or PC users. See the Nuclear Winter website for more details and to download the demo.

Permalink to story.

All of this and still no modification for single player ...... I am convinced; they do indeed have their heads firmly planted in the old anal canal with no chance of taking a deep breath .....

All of this and still no modification for single player ...... I am convinced; they do indeed have their heads firmly planted in the old anal canal with no chance of taking a deep breath .....
Why would they? They have the SP Fallout series for that, y'know the last one being F4? -_-

Oh they certainly do. I watched their E3 presentation. I have zero faith in them delivering a quality ES6 of FO5, and that's as a fan since ES:Blades.

Why would they? They have the SP Fallout series for that, y'know the last one being F4? -_-

Do they? Even their single player games have been getting progressively worse. I stopped playing FO4 20 hours in. By far the worth fallout to date. Their old engine being as broken as it is stopped being funny with Skyrim.

Do they? Even their single player games have been getting progressively worse. I stopped playing FO4 20 hours in. By far the worth fallout to date. Their old engine being as broken as it is stopped being funny with Skyrim.
Ummm, yeah.
F4 was fine for me (got it 50% off on Steam recently). Beat the main missions and some faction missions and didn't feel like doing too much else (but that's par for most games now that I don't have much time for them). Skyrim I didn't have problems with, and that one I probably spent at least 100hrs in. If they mess up ES6, then I'll jump on the hate bandwagon.

But there's no point complaining about F76 not having SP. It was obviously never meant to. That's what the main series is for (if you choose to wait for F5 or go to an earlier one).
Might as well be complaining that ESO doesn't have SP either...

"How Bethesda plans to make the BR mode relevant in an already over-saturated market is unclear, but we won’t have to wait long to find out."

"Plan" is a strong word regarding a company that's clearly just trying to copy whatever everyone else is doing even if its unprofitable (even Blizzard couldn't make a CCG work..and yet we have ES:L). Like every other company these days Bethesda is desperate to grab their piece of the fad gaming pie. What's truly mind-boggling is that their going to do battle royale in F076 when they have Rage 2 right around the corner. They could just use that engine which is actually *made* for that kind of gameplay...but no, that would make too much sense.

I don't know why, but I love finding typos in the articles. Especially ones like this! It's like Where's Waldo. Also, I don't think any less of the writers.
Well I can tell you we all appreciate the eagle-eyed readers like you that point out our errors. It's a real service to the community, the writers, and the website. So thanks for reading... carefully. ;)

Back