Better to upgrade GPU or CPU?

hi guys

i would just like to know if it is better to upgrade my gpu or my cpu? my specs are as follow:

cpu: intel core 2 quad q8400 2.66 ghz
gpu: msi 9800gt 1 gb memory

I'm looking at a gainward gtx 570 phantom edition and for the cpu i'm looking for the core i5 2500k, but then i must replace my motherboard as well.

thanks in advance

Depends what you want to do. If the upgrade is for playing games then definitely upgrade the GPU, your processor is good enough and won't be a bottleneck in most games. If it's for video editing then CPU.

In my opinion buy a Radeon HD 6950 and flush it to HD 6970. There is no point buying a new CPU (Core i5 2500K is excellent) AND replace the motherboard to pay a lot of money. just buy the GTX 570 you want or HD 6950 (cheaper) and flush it to HD 6970 (google it) where HD 6970=GTX 570 and HD 6950=GTX 560Ti (roughly).

I think you meant *flash. Anyways, it just bothered me that the rest of your post was fine except for using the wrong word two times in a row :|

I noticed that too, but he also failed to state that if you fail/make a mistake doing it you're pretty much dead in the water.

I think you meant *flash. Anyways, it just bothered me that the rest of your post was fine except for using the wrong word two times in a row :|

no, some people call it flush (experts). I thought flash is correct but some (experts) call it flush. So I use it too :D (experts I mean from PC magazines :D )

If you go for a new GPU the 570 is sweet as a nut, but it does have thermal issues without an aftercooler fitted, best bet is to buy one with a 2 or 3 fan setup. If you go for a new CPU the Core i5 2500K is one hell of a cpu, i have one and ive not seen it taxed yet. Again an aftercooler is recomended if you are going to overclock(some mainboards do this for you). You will also need some DDR3 if upgrading your CPU.

If you go for a new GPU the 570 is sweet as a nut, but it does have thermal issues without an aftercooler fitted, best bet is to buy one with a 2 or 3 fan setup. If you go for a new CPU the Core i5 2500K is one hell of a cpu, i have one and ive not seen it taxed yet. Again an aftercooler is recomended if you are going to overclock(some mainboards do this for you). You will also need some DDR3 if upgrading your CPU.

Core i5-2500K Is the recommend for CPU. No need for AMD FX or any other Intel. Just i5-2500K, you are absolutely right :D It is better than Core i7 2600K (in games only) too!

GTX 570 is a good choice and you will be able to play almost all games without sweet. The GTX 570 is having similiar performance of GTX 480 but very big improvement on heat control. However, you haven't mentioned the psu that you used, please be reminded that you need a min. of 600W true power to get it work. I recommand to have 750W.

My Corsair 650TX gives me more than enough juice, and thats with a Superclocked GTX570, i5 2500k, 8Gb. 750W seem a little like overkill to me but i suppose it will give you some future headroom.

Back