Big-screen iPhone 6 models could hit the market in September

Himanshu Arora

Staff

iPhone 6 rumors have been pouring in thick and fast for the past few months. Today, we have Bloomberg reporting that the Apple's upcoming flagship will feature screens measuring 4.7 inches and 5.5 inches, and will go into production next month in China.

The new iPhones are expected to be rounder and thinner than the current iPhone 5S. The 4.7-inch model is expected to be available around September.

An even larger 5.5-inch model might also become available at the same time, but only in limited quantities because its production is more complicated as it uses a display cover made from sapphire, which isn't sufficiently available.

Apple's manufacturing partners are also gearing up for the launch of the new devices. Last weekend, there were reports that Foxconn is planning to hire 100,000 new workers to help assemble the iPhone 6.

Large screen smartphones are in big demand. In China, for example, 40 percent of Android devices sold this year had display sizes of 5 inches or more. Apple is facing intense competition from other smartphone manufacturers like Samsung, Lenovo and HTC, companies that already offer displays as large as 5.7 inches.

iPhone, which generates more than half of Apple’s annual revenue, remains the company's biggest asset. Last year, the smartphone produced $91 billion in revenue, which is more than the total sales of Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo, and Oracle, combined.

Permalink to story.

"Innovation!!! Let's make the screen BIGGER!!! It's the same phone as the iPhone 5s but with a bigger screen, now give us $300 contract or $900 off contract. Oh and one more thing, please don't call it the iPad Nano. This one has a phone"

"100,000 new workers to help assemble the iPhone 6." More likely to be to replace the ones that commit suicide.

"An even larger 5.5-inch model might also become available at the same time, but only in limited quantities because its production is more complicated as it uses a display cover made from sapphire, which isn't sufficiently available."

aka, testing the waters with a larger screen size.

I don't care much for iPhone's. I don't know what the big deal is. I feel the android system is much simpler to use. iPhone's are nice and more accurate when it comes to texting, but other than that, not that impressive.

"Anyone can make a larger screen" "this is the perfect size for the thumb"

I really feel like apple is insulting my intelligence with some of their product marketing

I don't care much for iPhone's. I don't know what the big deal is. I feel the android system is much simpler to use. iPhone's are nice and more accurate when it comes to texting, but other than that, not that impressive.
Careful. Millions of iFans will want to see you tarred & feathered for uttering such blasphemy against their precious phones that are no better than a cheap Android counterpart.

Careful. Millions of iFans will want to see you tarred & feathered for uttering such blasphemy against their precious phones that are no better than a cheap Android counterpart.

Oh I'm not too frigthened lol. I think you said everything I pretty much did in that one short, sweet and to the point post lol.

They only crying you ever see is Android fans crying about all things apple. Here you are.. posting...

An Apple fan with a sense of humour, now that's something you don't see everyday, I like it.
Would it blow you mind to know that I use a galaxy s4? and a S3 for back up? or even my kids having an S3 and a Note 2? Stupid is as stupid does. It is true that Android fans cry loud and clear... look through the pages... see it daily. Its typically only the teens that do it but sometimes the older folk do too.

I'm not an Apple or iPhone fan. I am a proud Android user and favor Google over Apple. With that said, I will have to disagree with your comment that iPhones are on par with cheap Android devices. I'm sure cheap Android phones lack features and the quality that come with an iPhone.

"Innovation!!! Let's make the screen BIGGER!!! It's the same phone as the iPhone 5s but with a bigger screen, now give us $300 contract or $900 off contract. Oh and one more thing, please don't call it the iPad Nano. This one has a phone"

Ok, since no one has turned up to counter argument I will :)

I agree, if Apple do advertise this as "revolutionary" for having a bigger screen they are stupid, But, Samsung have done this with their Galaxy line of Smartphones, how are they any less guilty of "innovation" by just simply whacking the screen size up a notch every year?

Ok, since no one has turned up to counter argument I will :)

I agree, if Apple do advertise this as "revolutionary" for having a bigger screen they are stupid, But, Samsung have done this with their Galaxy line of Smartphones, how are they any less guilty of "innovation" by just simply whacking the screen size up a notch every year?

Samsung added eye monitoring to check if you are looking at the phone and if not turn it off, health monitoring tools/Heart Rate sensor, finger print scanner, IP67, Download booster (using WiFi + LTE combined) and some other things too. Looking at it at base level it is just an increase in screen real estate but I see more innovation from Samsung, HTC and others than Apple in recent years.

I'm not an Apple or iPhone fan. I am a proud Android user and favor Google over Apple. With that said, I will have to disagree with your comment that iPhones are on par with cheap Android devices. I'm sure cheap Android phones lack features and the quality that come with an iPhone.
They may lack the quality but certainly not features apart from a finger scanner.perhaps.

They only crying you ever see is Android fans crying about all things apple. Here you are.. posting...

Everyone has their preferences. I work with both PC and Mac's. I still prefer PC over Mac. Everyone has their own taste. Mine is still dominantly PC and Android. =)

Would it blow you mind to know that I use a galaxy s4? and a S3 for back up? or even my kids having an S3 and a Note 2?
Why are you so defensive about iPhone if you don't even have one?
Its typically only the teens that do it but sometimes the older folk do too.
Nice statistics, did you pull them out of your butt?

Why are you so defensive about iPhone if you don't even have one?

Nice statistics, did you pull them out of your butt?

Are you suggesting that you HAVE to defend what you own? That's about as stupid as agreeing with your country no matter is policies or having to root for your home city sports team just because you live there. Grow up. Owning a product is crucial for its defense? Not in the very least. Being 100% impartial is my gift. I can own something and see it for what it really is. You should try it. In this particular case, I just happen to have an Android based handset but have owned apple in the past, and their phones are awesome. All family members around me I have switched to Android FROM iphone. Based on pure preferce, I would choose IOS. I wish I could say its supioror but can't since it would depend on what a person uses the phone for. For me, IOS is better system for a large varity of reasons.

Nice stats? There was no stats, it was a general "as-I-see-around-me" free information that I shared with any reader. This is experience of my own being in contact with dozens of individuals day in and day out in real life. Mostly you see the teens bashing IOS in web forums (just as its being done in this thread) to help them feel better about their fashion accessory and to fit in with all the other "cool" kids who are doing it.

Samsung added eye monitoring to check if you are looking at the phone and if not turn it off, health monitoring tools/Heart Rate sensor, finger print scanner, IP67, Download booster (using WiFi + LTE combined) and some other things too. Looking at it at base level it is just an increase in screen real estate but I see more innovation from Samsung, HTC and others than Apple in recent years.

I wouldn't say that, wasn't Apple the first to market with a fingerprint scanner on a phone? Still, I wouldn't say the Android Hardware makers are any more innovative than Apples, Software wise however, Android definitely more flexible.

Are you suggesting that you HAVE to defend what you own? That's about as stupid as agreeing with your country no matter is policies or having to root for your home city sports team just because you live there. Grow up. Owning a product is crucial for its defense? Not in the very least. Being 100% impartial is my gift. I can own something and see it for what it really is. You should try it. In this particular case, I just happen to have an Android based handset but have owned apple in the past, and their phones are awesome. All family members around me I have switched to Android FROM iphone. Based on pure preferce, I would choose IOS. I wish I could say its supioror but can't since it would depend on what a person uses the phone for. For me, IOS is better system for a large varity of reasons.
No, I'm not suggesting anything, I'm just curious why would you defend iPhone if you don't even have it, but you have the ability to. Instead you bought Android which you don't like "just to see what it really is", and now you rant about it. Do you even see how dumb that sounds? You don't need to be an Apple fanboy cause Apple doesn't care about you, same goes for Google and other companies so don't bother defending them.
Nice stats? There was no stats, it was a general "as-I-see-around-me" free information that I shared with any reader. This is experience of my own being in contact with dozens of individuals day in and day out in real life. Mostly you see the teens bashing IOS in web forums (just as its being done in this thread) to help them feel better about their fashion accessory and to fit in with all the other "cool" kids who are doing it.
The way you described Apple haters which are supposedly "teens and sometimes older folks" is laughable, I know it's not really statistical, but I wouldn't expect for you to give statistics, just loose description. Don't think that only Apple is being bashed, everyone is, it's just that you are too much of an Apple fanboy to see that.

No, I'm not suggesting anything, I'm just curious why would you defend iPhone if you don't even have it, but you have the ability to. Instead you bought Android which you don't like "just to see what it really is", and now you rant about it. Do you even see how dumb that sounds? You don't need to be an Apple fanboy cause Apple doesn't care about you, same goes for Google and other companies so don't bother defending them.

The way you described Apple haters which are supposedly "teens and sometimes older folks" is laughable, I know it's not really statistical, but I wouldn't expect for you to give statistics, just loose description. Don't think that only Apple is being bashed, everyone is, it's just that you are too much of an Apple fanboy to see that.

Why don't you tell us how old you are... in any case, whether you say your true age or not, only YOU know that you are one of the young kids I spoke of and you are angry and offended. Its ok, as you get older you will see (most of the time with age) you use a product that suits your needs and not because all your friends think its cool.

Why don't you tell us how old you are... in any case, whether you say your true age or not, only YOU know that you are one of the young kids I spoke of and you are angry and offended.
Since you know that Android fans are teens and sometimes older folks how can you not guess my age? You gotta know something at least man, damn.
Its ok, as you get older you will see (most of the time with age) you use a product that suits your needs and not because all your friends think its cool.
And who said that I use products that are cool? Nobody. You don't even know what products I use, what are you talking about then? You have dissapointed me. If I needed a product that's only "cool" I would get an iPhone.

Since you know that Android fans are teens and sometimes older folks how can you not guess my age? You gotta know something at least man, damn.

And who said that I use products that are cool? Nobody. You don't even know what products I use, what are you talking about then? You have dissapointed me. If I needed a product that's only "cool" I would get an iPhone.
you feel an iPhone is cool?

you feel an iPhone is cool?
Well, if you've been living under a rock this whole time I can inform you that Apple has a really good marketing strategy and they made iPhone "cool" among teens, it's not my opinion, it's how it is.

Back