Bill and Melinda Gates to seek a divorce after 27 years of marriage

Polycount

Staff
A hot potato: Jeff Bezos and his former wife MacKenzie Scott aren't the only high-powered tech couple seeking a divorce in the Covid-19 era. After 27 years of marriage, Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates and his wife Melinda Gates have also announced their intention to part ways; at least, romantically speaking.

The joint announcement was posted to both Bill and Melinda's Twitter pages simultaneously, featuring the same, brief explanatory message. The Gates say they reached this decision after a "great deal of thought" (which goes without saying) and "a lot of work" on their relationship. Whether that references counseling or simply a series of personal talks between the two, we cannot say.

In either case, it sounds like Bill and Melinda won't be parting on bad terms. The couple's charitable organization, aptly known as the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, has been one of their primary professional focuses over the past two decades (it opened its doors in 2000), and they will continue to work together on it and other philanthropic projects in the future.

That's good news for the general public: the Foundation has helped countless people across the globe, thanks to its significant investments in the fields of healthcare and nutrition.

Bill and Melinda's relationship reportedly began in 1987 at a New York trade show, but they exchanged their marriage vows on a Hawaiian golf course years later, in 1994.

The couple worked together at Microsoft for most of the 90s, but Melinda left in 1996 to work on their family. Gates followed suit a little over a decade later in 2008, when he transitioned away from handling day-to-day operations at Microsoft to focus more on the Foundation.

It remains to be seen what the future will hold for Melinda and Bill, but we wish them all the best. Notably, the couple -- or soon-to-be-former couple -- is asking for "space and privacy" for their family during this transitionary period of their lives.

Permalink to story.

Marriage is nothing more than an insurance policy on a woman's rapidly depreciating market value.

Originally designed, by men, to protect their daughters and to ensure the passing down of property to legitimate children...it has been turned into a weapon, against men, by America's brand of liberal feminism which has done nothing but expand the welfare state and put us on track to being an impoverished matriarchy.

Women are treating men like they are a retirement plan.

Like they are walking lottery tickets.

Last edited:
Marriage is nothing more than an insurance policy on a woman's rapidly depreciating market value.

Originally designed, by men, to protect their daughters and to ensure the passing down of property to legitimate children...it has been turned into a weapon, against men, by America's brand of liberal feminism which has done nothing but expand the welfare state and put us on track to being an impoverished matriarchy.

Try living in Australia.

Don't need a piece of paper. Just evidence on the girlfriends part that they were in fact living together as a couple for 2 years and they are entitled to half that man's life savings, superannuation (probably same as 401k in USA) and belongings.
From personal experience a lot can happen in 2 years, which is why I like the USA version better, you can wait a few years and find out what they are truly like.

If you are broke, you are lucky! Which I was, amazing how much things can turn around in a year after breakup!

Like in my country. Crappy feminism is the fourth plague of this century.

Try living in Australia.

Don't need a piece of paper. Just evidence on the girlfriends part that they were in fact living together as a couple for 2 years and they are entitled to half that man's life savings, superannuation (probably same as 401k in USA) and belongings.
From personal experience a lot can happen in 2 years, which is why I like the USA version better, you can wait a few years and find out what they are truly like.

If you are broke, you are lucky! Which I was, amazing how much things can turn around in a year after breakup!
This is absolutely not true.

God damn a bunch of whiney incels on here.

A man getting financially ruined by a DIVORCE means he was "married".

How could this be about an "incel" if he was married? Especially where kids are concerned?

Perhaps, in fact, there are a bunch of simps wifing up these untrustworthy thots and getting taken to the cleaners due to liberal feminism controlling the courts?

Try living in Australia.

That is NOT true. If you have been in a relationship for more than two years and qualify as a defacto couple based on other things like living together, having shared bank accounts etc, a member of the couple can ask a court to decide if some assets should be split. You are not “entitled to 50%” but a court may decide that you are entitled to some proportion based on how the couple lived together and how they both contributed to the relationship. If you have lived together for 10 years and had a child, then that proportion might be 50% and the parent not caring for the child is responsible for paying child support over time.

I think this is very reasonable.

He should of applied that Service Pack on her... Now with that said. What does this have to do with Tech News? I feel like this is becoming E! News lately.
Perhaps because he is 'somehow' related to technology. Maybe you should leave your mine some day and see the light of the sun.

Last edited:
In other technical news.... Melinda marries MacKenzie.

Looks like she's all done now.

Hey Mr. Gates, just so happens, Kim Kardashian is now available, and she seems like a real deal. Time for an upgrade. Let it be as smooth as Windows 10.
Oh that Kim looks so sexy. Yes Melinda was working as a housewife for a long time, it seems. Typical!

That is NOT true. If you have been in a relationship for more than two years and qualify as a defacto couple based on other things like living together, having shared bank accounts etc, a member of the couple can ask a court to decide if some assets should be split. You are not “entitled to 50%” but a court may decide that you are entitled to some proportion based on how the couple lived together and how they both contributed to the relationship. If you have lived together for 10 years and had a child, then that proportion might be 50% and the parent not caring for the child is responsible for paying child support over time.

I think this is very reasonable.
If the male built these things up over a life time and then along comes miss-entitled trying to claim half of that, courts seem to rule in favour of the female in Australia, plenty of dads taking their own lives because they lose everything to a greedy mother who gives them no access to kids.

But, you don't even need a kid for them to take you to the cleaners, just have to say they depended on you and they will side with the female, like they can't go out and get a job, career and their own belongings and wealth.

Obviously shared bank accounts and assets is a different story but things there were already obtained before the relationship should NOT be up for debate unless there is a legal form stating you want to share everything with them. Simple.

Bill is gonna make sure she gets her vaccine shots....now more than ever. She better fetch a lawyer and get a good will drawn up at Operation Warpspeed.

If Kim ever even thought of dating Bill Gates it would be just for the money. The guy wasn't really blessed in the department of aesthetics.

A lot of upset men on here - Do your homework . Same if you are an employer, landlord etc - Do your homework.
We have 2 years defacto relationship rule in NZ - TBF - most people just go their own ways if no children involved . NZ reforming law to recognize that assets pre-couple should be more protected.

None of the concern here has to do with Melinda & Bill - I'm sure they will have a great mutual deal.

Amazing how many people were upset for Paul McCartney - he probably just shrugged his shoulders and carried on.

The issue really is about children and the ongoing child support payments - that should reflect later partnerships and new children etc

In some countries women have no rights - dead beat dad are in many countries - and it's hard to get legal redress .

Marriage off my head- makes alliances and pacts, transfers responsibility from parents, is religious, forms new extended families , pays blood debts, gives stability for the raising of children, shows commitment and blah blah etc etc + great excuse for social get together and a time to feast and party
Oh legitimizes rape ( how can the 40 year old man be a rapist to a 14 year when they married - because he raped her when she was 13 and who would want the shameless hussy now anyway )

Do your homework - put that inherited vineyard into a family trust - money from parents to buy house are documented "loans" if you are so worried - applies equally to men and women.
Men and women are not separate - you are the son/daughter of a mum/dad - is bread water or is it flour or is it yeast and salt ?

If the male built these things up over a life time and then along comes miss-entitled trying to claim half of that, courts seem to rule in favour of the female in Australia, plenty of dads taking their own lives because they lose everything to a greedy mother who gives them no access to kids.

But, you don't even need a kid for them to take you to the cleaners, just have to say they depended on you and they will side with the female, like they can't go out and get a job, career and their own belongings and wealth.

Obviously shared bank accounts and assets is a different story but things there were already obtained before the relationship should NOT be up for debate unless there is a legal form stating you want to share everything with them. Simple.
You provide examples where kids were involved and I bet people commit suicide after divorces with children because of emotional loss, not financial loss, the situation is tragic but doesn’t provide evidence that financial split causes suicide or that financial splits when kids are involved are not fair and equitable to both parents.

I have a lot more trust in our courts to be impartial, balanced and fair than I do in the opinion of one party in a court case. You haven’t substantiated your claims of bias in court judgements with anything more than your personal feelings.

Liberal feminism has nothing to do with divorce settlements. If anything conservatism (which asserts the importance of the family unit, and even of housewives) would lead to greater protections for women who may have spent ten or twenty years raising children, while their husband has advanced his career and professional skillset. These women need protection against being dumped. Sure, in the case of Melinda Gates she shouldn't be entitled to half of Bill's mega fortune, but billionaires are extreme outliers.

I clicked on the story to read your comment. Not disappointed ha ha. You might also want to add society and movies are shoving this down our throats 24/7 then we have social media spreading this like a virus and family/friends trying to one up others.

We are animals we breed, we are hard wired to breed.

Just to give an idea of how "whiny" people are in here...

In post-Renaissance France society ridiculed and humiliated husbands thought to be battered and/or dominated by their wives. A battered husband was trotted around town riding a donkey backwards while holding its tail.
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/106082659400300203

Now flip the sexes. Imagine a woman being publicly humiliated for being abused by her husband.
Suddenly it's not so whiny anymore, is it? That is exactly what happens to men nowadays, and then the likes of you come out of the woodwork on some sort of pedestal, trying to virtue signal. Can't go lower than that.

In any case... Considering this is Bill Gates, I wouldn't be surprised if there's actually a financial incentive for both of them, to get a divorce.

In any case... Considering this is Bill Gates, I wouldn't be surprised if there's actually a financial incentive for both of them, to get a divorce.
I was actually thinking the same thing. Bill Gates is a cockroach. He set up the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation as a financial incentive also. Not to help people. I need to go back and read the story again. This guy is one smart sonofabitch when it comes to exploiting the system.
They're still going to work together at the foundation as stated in their tweet. How does that make any sense? When people divorce it's because they want to get away from each other. Doesn't sound like they're getting away from each other.
He talks all the time about giving all his wealth away while simultaneously getting richer and richer year after year.

Last edited:
Back