Bing snags up 10% of search market share, Google holding strong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

Microsoft's re-imagined search engine is doing rather well for itself, following recent indications that it has managed to take nearly ten percent of the market in the U.S. That puts it well above competitors like AOL, and much closer to the number two player, Yahoo, who has been struggling and slowly slipping since the start of the year. The latter is not necessarily bad news for Yahoo, as they already have tied themselves to Microsoft and Bing.

To Microsoft's dismay, Bing's gains aren't coming at Google's expense. The search giant held on vigorously to their share, climbing since the beginning of the year and holding on to more than 65% of all Internet searches in the U.S. Bing's growth is coming largely due to Yahoo's loss, which tells us that most people who are hooked on Google are not switching.

Even if Microsoft has something going good for it with Bing, it's not yet enough to entice Google users to jump ship. Microsoft is likely now pushing for more integration and "default search provider" deals with other software companies. Google capitalized on that with things like Firefox, which definitely helped bolster their share.

Microsoft' strategy from here isn't clear. They have a lot to consider, especially if they truly want to erode Google's share. Advertising deals seem likely, though the larger issue is convincing people that Bing has something better to offer than Google.

Permalink to story.

I'm using Bing more and more frequently - provides you a lot more options than Google.

However, their shopping search engine needs some work. When I compare side-by-side shopping searches for electronic/computer goods, Google blows Bing out of the water.

I'm also using Bing more frequently, but for some situations I find it easier to search Google for the same information. Such as with a specific phrase, which I can wrap in quotes and have a better chance of success finding that exact phrase in a web page. Bing just seems to get me answers a lot quicker than Google does, and I like the look of the site.

Bing has nothing over Google...! What a crappy name for a search engine, "BING"!... lol.

Bot ''Guests'' post anti bing comments, where as users praise bing. I like Bing, its more colourfull than googles boring front page screen.

I like the 'boring page screen', I don't want the graphic enhanced page that Bing has. Google offers a simple clean and easy to navigate search engine, which is what I'll be sticking with.

Good job for Bing, but I'd like to see something actually challenge google. They have the general populous wrapped around their finger, they even got google to be a word.

Personally, I don't use any of the 3. I use www.alltheweb.com It does just fine for me.

It's exactly how everybody knew that it was going to turn out. "Bing eats Yahoo, Google eats Bing". It's that simple. But searching for xxx is more fun on Bing. ^_^

most people are like sheep, so they use google. Microsoft is the lesser evil. Google is very evil, if they have it their way everything will we web based. Taking everything away from you and putting it into their cloud space. Just say no to google.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back