BIOS crash

Hello,

Today i ordered a new graphics card. After looking around the web i found it was recommended that i update my BIOS because the new PCI-e 2.1 graphics cards might not be supported by my motherboard.

My motherboard is the following: 945GCT -HM

I updated the BIOS with this HP site: Type "945GCT bios update" into UK google and choose first link (i can't post links on here yet, sorry)

However, the update required a restart, but once i restarted the computer it beeped 3 short times, and then one long beep. A message on the screen told me that the processor installed is not supported by the motherboard. I have never changed the processor.

I have tried to reset the BIOS multiple times, i have removed the battery, changed the 2 jumpers multiple times (it's strange that it has 2 jumpers..)... And it always tells me the same thing when i start it up. Help anybody????

CPU: Intel pentium dual core 1.6Ghz
Motherboard: See above
2Gb RAM DRR2

No, i got the update from this site:
h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&tmp_geoLoc=true&softwareitem=pv-49221-1

I can't see how it was the wrong bios update but it must have been, unless my computer is a 64bit... But would that really make much difference?

That is the exact same Bios that my link goes to. One of the criteria for that Bios is a version of Vista 32bit, not 64bit. You should have checked that before doing the flash.

Can you get it to boot into the Bios and select optimum defaults?

I can see the PC is HP but what is the model, as long as the Bios flash has not gone wrong you should be able to put the original Bios back in by reflashing it.

I have managed to acces my PC, i don't know how the hell i did it but i did. Anyway, the computer works but i'm too scared to turn it off. I'm looking for the ORIGINAL bios for this motherboard but i can't find it anywhere, do you have any idea where i cna find it?

The mobo is made by ECS Elitegroup, but there is no reference to this board on there site with the -HM in the model number. That would suggest it was made only for HP and that seems to be the only place where you can get the Bios from. The only one available is the one you have installed.

The fact that you managed to get the PC to boot is certainly a good sign, but how did you do it, did you change anything in the Bios to get it to work. It booted so you must have got it correct and the Bios will store its settings and should therefore boot ok the next time.

Back