BIOS is not loading

Emachines w5243
Motherboard: MCP61SM-GM

My bios is not loading, hard drive not loading, pretty much nothing is loading. I tested the power with an alternate power supply, the cpu fan comes on as does the front panel LED but no signal is being sent to the monitor. I ran all of the basic tests including swapping ram, video card, taking out the cmos battery, etc. Also, the power LED stays on and in order to turn off the power to the computer i need to unplug it, not sure if thats an indication of what could be the problem (i also checked the front panel connections to the mobo which are ok).

Is it possible the motherboard is just fried? or maybe i'm just missing something minor? any ideas are appreciated.

Connecting the monitor

I have not yet tried to connect another monitor but i don't hear the hard drive spinning or loading. I will try it though, thank you

If another monitor shows nothing I would then suggest you disconnect everything from the PC, all external devices, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc. Also disconnect the hard drive, CD/DVD drives, all RAM sticks and any cards. Just leave in the graphics card if there is no onboard graphics to use. Then boot and see if anything appears on screen, if yes then start by adding back in the RAM and see if it will go to the POST screen. Then reconnect the hard drive and see if it will reach the desktop.

If this does not achieve anything on screen then it will be the CPU or motherboard that has developed a fault. Considering the tests you have already done the only other thing you could try is flashing the Bios.

Back