Bitcoin's new surge is driving AMD shares up

nanoguy

Staff member
In brief: Thanks to its bets on 7nm CPUs and GPUs, as well as a renewed focus on chiplet architectures, AMD looks like a rejuvenated company -- so much so that competitors feel forced to adapt to its impressive momentum. Now it seems Bitcoin's latest surge is making investors even happier as a result, with shares quickly approaching last year's highs.

The company has been taking a Microsoft-like approach of partnering up with others, and while it still has more to do in terms of execution, it’s finally paying off – with everyone from Google, Apple, Microsoft, and Samsung choosing AMD silicon to power their next generation of products and cloud services.

While tech innovations are driving much of AMD’s revival, the latest development has seen the company benefiting from Bitcoin’s recent surge to nearly $13,000 per coin. AMD shares are hovering at around $30 as of writing, which is close to last year’s high, when Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies were not doing very well.

To put things in perspective, AMD’s stock has risen 62% this year, and while analysts are still cautious about the company’s ability to capitalize on its renewed success in the consumer and datacenter markets, early benchmarks of its Ryzen 5 3600 look are just one of several compelling reasons to be hopeful for the company’s future.

Permalink to story.

AMD specifically under Dr Lisa Su leadership as CEO and as a fellow designer of silicon herself with many high profile companies over the years (she is truly one of the .001% that make up the top of the tech world)

how many bill gates are there, jeff bezos, jim keller etc? not many huh...EXACTLY.

so very few can design a modern high performance chip (even at the "bare minimum" while having it keep up to or surpass previous generation, every generation etc)
few can run a multi hundred billion $ multi national (total assets, IP etc)..

that is like the top 1% would even be remotely close to having the ability, 1% of these folks who "make it" I.e 99th percentile at the top of the range, of them you are of the top 1% (like a sniper of snipers, teaching how to become even better)

she is VERY EXCELLING from what I ppersonally have read/dug up about her, hard to argue with her "results" over decades, the companies themselves maybe, but supposedly what SHE personally had a hand in has always been as good or beyond expectations

AM4 2017 through to now, Vega etc etc etc etc.....

Ehm... what?!! How can you correlate AMD with BTC when GPUs are not even used to mine BTC.

I never thought BTC would rebound as it did at least so soon, I gave it another year or so.
I'm not sure about calling a rebound, seeing it drop about 24% since yesterday, from 14k all the way to 10.7k it is right now. That's some drop. Bloody speculation, nothing else, financial crapshoot with zero fundamentals.

I agree with the CPU side turning around..... I think the jury is still out on the GPU side of things.... Navi isn't actually out yet... and the Radeon VII was a bust... let's wait a few months before crowning AMD the greatest company ever...

If bitcoin go up so will other crypto currencies including those that are minned by gpu's. To make the artical more complete, it would have been useful to give a price where it becomes profitable to mine by gpu. Is everyone waiting for the next mining boom?

Last edited:
Great, so we will be seeing another huge and permanent increase in prices? Crypto has absolutely nothing that benefits anyone. Use a huge amount of resources for what? What productivity or intrinsic value does it have or produce?

The same company that cashed in on GPU sales and we did not see a corresponding technology bump from the extra cash. They will do it again - absorb the cash into their wallets and the customers get screwed.

Ehm... what?!! How can you correlate AMD with BTC when GPUs are not even used to mine BTC.

Exactly, but most of the shareholders do not know about that.
Also, BTC going up has some traction on other cryptocurrencies that are mined on GPUs.

Great, so we will be seeing another huge and permanent increase in prices? Crypto has absolutely nothing that benefits anyone. Use a huge amount of resources for what? What productivity or intrinsic value does it have or produce?

The same company that cashed in on GPU sales and we did not see a corresponding technology bump from the extra cash. They will do it again - absorb the cash into their wallets and the customers get screwed.

Well, current Crypto has nothing that benefits anyone. If done right it could provide a decentralized currency with very low transaction processing fees. Heck getting rid of currency exchange fees alone would save everyone a ton of money.

"Bitcoin's new surge is driving AMD shares up..." SERIOUSLY???? Stupidest thing I ever read.

CLICKBAIT.

Bitcoin is mined with ASIC's NOT with GPU's.

Back