Black screen with white cursor after processor change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys i've been desperate to find an answer to my problem which has been pecking my head for the last couple of days. OK so i've been saving up for a decent processor, and i decided to get an AMD E5600 dual core processor.

First time i booted the computer up after changing the processor, i got lots of error messages, second time, the black screen and white cursor. It took me 1 day and a half of reinstalling window to finally get to window as it wouldn't boot to window at all even when im pressing f8.

Then i got it working, kind of... about 3/5 times i start my computer i would get a black screen with white cursor on the top left corner and the only thing i could do is to power off or to press reset about 5 times. When i DO get booted to window my pc usually crashes when i'm playing games. The game would turn to a black screen and the sound would be looping, then it would whether reboot to the white cursor or not at all.The weird thing is once i get to window my computer rarely crash if i'm not playin games(it crashed once while i was copying files off the network and that was it) I've checked all my temperatures,bios and drivers are up to date. My spec:

abit AN52 mother board
western digital 250gb hdd
radeon 1950x pro
amd e5600 dual core processor
2gb ram forgot the brand :p

Please please help me i need to put an end to this nightmare right now i can't live with this anymore lol :(

Change CPU type, you need to Repair Windows first
Not repairing Windows (ie you tried booting first) can corrupt files

Backup (if possible)
And install Windows clean (ie remove partition (on Windows install)
By the way, some computers have a recovery partition, don't remove that

kimsland said:
Change CPU type, you need to Repair Windows first
Not repairing Windows (ie you tried booting first) can corrupt files

Backup (if possible)
And install Windows clean (ie remove partition (on Windows install)
By the way, some computers have a recovery partition, don't remove that

Yes i have repaired window and changed the cpu type after the first time i boot to window but repair didn't work so i reinstalled the fresh version of xp and yes i have removed the partition

kimsland said:
Run CMOS Setup defaults, or put the cpu to Normal (in CMOS) not "compatable".

Setting CMOS to default helped the first time, the morning when i woke up everything were back to a mess. And what did u mean by not compatible? my bios recognized the processor

Some CMOS settings have the word "compatable" in CPU, usually you should put this setting to "Normal"

Also this could actually be a faulty CPU still

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back