Blank desktop - not a virus

Hazel010303

Hi there

I have a relatively old Dell laptop running Windows Vista.

I have been over at the Malware forums getting help removing some trojans.

The laptop is now free of malware but still wont boot. There is a just a blank desktop with a cursor. I can boot into safe mode only.

Can you help?

Many thanks

Hazel

Hi seems like either windows is corrupt or boot wrong when laptop starts up at bottom u should see it say press f2 or f12 or esc or del to go to boot menu go there and set defaults make sure 1st boot priority is hard drive then try again let us know outcome

Hi there, thank you. Pressed F12 for boot menu, selected internal HDD (the other two options were external drives and onboard NIC) then got the 'start windows normally' screen. Selected start windows normally but it just took me to the blank desktop with nothing but a cursor.

What do you think?

First try discharging all the voilitile memory and static, Unlplug from mains, take out the battery. Now press and hold in the Power On button for at least 30 seconds. Now reassemble switch on and see it if it boots up into W7.
If that doesn't work then try:
[LEFT]
FIRST:
When your computer is booting up you have the option to press F2 or F12.
PRESS F2 -Set Up
When your in the Set Up go down to Boot Device Configuration(BDC)
Now under Hard Disk Boot Priority
You Will see first boot device
second
third
and boot other device
FOR THE FIRST BOOT DEVICE SELECT "HARD DISK"
After you have made the first boot device hard disk press F10 TO SAVE and RESTART
[/LEFT]

Also after taking off battery unplug any usb u got plugged in or any memory card then hold power button in for 10 seconds with no battery or chargerthis will drain all power then plug back in and start up

Try what Terry has said, But from what you have said. I have a feeling windows has crashed.

Have u had any luck I believe ur hard drive might of failed .. if this dont work]
power on laptop then soon as u see screen light up press and hold ctrl and f11 .. if nothing start again with ctrl f8 but if this does work this will wipe all data etc as this is the factory format option any more help please ask

Hi there, so sorry for late reply, I've been on holiday.

I did everything Terry said in his first post but it didn't work. Then I tried the ctrl + f11 thing and still no joy. Basically it boots, but there is a completely blank desktop with nothing but a cursor. I can get into safe mode though.

Do you think the viruses have removed stuff from the registry? It's virus-free now but still not working :(

I would have to say yes windows is hosed, Your best bet if you can get into safe mode is to remove any of your personal stuff, Then do a factory reinstall of your OS.

Hi hazel try keep tapping f8 soon as u turn on computer if u get into multi choice screen opt to pick to repair start up if nothng do as cobalt suggests and take everything off u want in safe mode then reinstall

Yeah the repair option doesn't work, guess I'll have to re format, not sure if my friend has the original OS discs though (it's not my laptop) :/

The OS re-install should work, but if it doesn't the hard drive might have died strangely enough

Back