Blizzard delays StarCraft II beta until 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

If you had some shred of hope that the StarCraft II beta would arrive this year after being delayed from this summer -- it's not happening. During a presentation at Russian games expo IgroMir, StarCraft II producer Chris Sigaty made it known that the game's multiplayer beta has been pushed back to 2010.

The first chapter (Wings of Liberty) of StarCraft II is now slated for release in the second quarter of next year -- between April and June, in other words. If that holds true, I suspect that the beta will arrive at some point in the first quarter, maybe even as early as January, though nothing is set in stone.

Blizzard first announced that StarCraft II would launch in the fall of this year, and beta sign-ups opened in May, but the company delayed the official release to polish the game as well as Battle.net, which is receiving a major overhaul.

Permalink to story.

This delaying business is really getting to be tragically ridiculous.
Let's see if the second quarter deadline holds let along first quarter beta.

Yes, the delaying hurts, but let's just hope that it means they are making a much better game because of it. I'll take a polished game over a buggy game any day. Let's also hope there really is "too much content" for it all to fit in one box.

Blizzard is known for putting out high quality content and user experience. If they feel that it is not up to par with their previous releases, they will delay it as they see fit.

I agree with wagan, I'd rather have a good quality release then some buggy release with a whole lot of patches.

honestly, i didnt expect anything for SC2 this year. wasnt this game supposed to be out in 2001 or something? i recently saw one of my old SC cd case and remember seeing something like it... in any case, all of blizzard's games face delays after delays. but, it is also true that their games are that good to wait for, no? i mean, i still play starcraft here and there and diablo 2 still lurks in my pc. and these games are close to 10 years old. so they must be doing something right. hopefully, something will be available in january.

Blizzard did WHAT?!

Well I never!

Anyway, Blizzard has yet to release a game that's anything less than perfect, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt...once again.

Woweeeeeeeeeee who saw that coming. WoW Expansions are more profitable, so thats where their effort will stay.

:) It does to the millions who have been waiting for its launch since the summer -- when it was supposed to show. I think any one of them would rather it be released next week -- or even next month -- over some undisclosed date in Q1 or Q2 of next year.

It's not like they don't have an steady income of large amounts of cash every month. They don't need to rush things like others do, so that's why their games are always among the best. BTW i'm looking forward to the WOW movie. Is still in production?

the movie..well..i think saying its still in production is kinda understatement, so far the directors have been found, we do not know anything about actors, not to speak of the day the shooting will start ( i bet u can find the names of the directors on wowwiki or smth)

What a load of horse $h!t!!!!! Been waiting for SC2 and D3 since the turn of the last century. Blizzard needs time for polish???? Come ON!!! Somebody needs to light a fire under their *****, this is getting beyond the pale...it's not polish they are adding, it's figuring out how to squeeze more coin outta me!!! Blizzard, you guys SUCK!!!! Who gives a crap about battlenet??? Most of us still like to play games on our own....only the tech geeks play online because they don't have a life outside of thier game world. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it's just I'm tired of those folks always being catered to; it only makes the casual gamer more frustrated with the complexities of gaming today and drives them out of the market all together!!! Just please, for the love of Mike and the Mechanics, PLEASE don't delay the realease beyond Q2 2010. Might have to go postal on Blizzard!!!

I agree! They've been touting this lateset round of releases for at least 2 years now, getting a little beyond rediculous at this point!

Blizzard needs to get their money sucking minds off WOW and put some time into Starcraft II. We've all been waiting for years and all they keep doing is pushing the time back. I won't be suprised if we're all reading the same news a year from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back