Blizzard removed ultrawide monitor support from Diablo 2 because it broke the game

midian182

Staff member
In context: It's been 21 years since Diablo 2 first arrived, and those of us old enough to remember playing it first time around can look forward to the remastered release on September 24. As with other recent revamps of classic games, Diablo 2: Resurrected takes advantage of modern hardware, but one thing it won't do is work on ultrawide monitors. According to Blizzard, true 21:9 support breaks the game.

The Diablo 2 technical alpha did support 21:9, but the beta scaled this maximum width down to 19:9. Blizzard writes that the problems became apparent during the former. "For example, the AI failed to sense the player and trigger attacks. Furthermore, players with 21:9 monitors were able to pull many more monsters into battle at a range limit beyond the original game's intention," the company explains.

"In a scenario where players (for example: playing a ranged class) were attacking monsters, players with 21:9 monitors could hit enemies with that extra screen space, but the monsters would not pull or react, but could still be defeated. Ultimately, the AI doesn't register getting hit from that additional distance a 21:9 monitor provides."

The change means that anyone playing Diablo 2: Resurrected on an ultrawide 21:9 screen or a super-ultrawide 32:9 like Samsung's Odyssey Neo G9 will see black bars down either side of their monitor. Blizzard added, "We'll continue to watch these discussions and explore possible solutions that don't change how the game is played."

Another feature removed by Blizzard, one that was present in the original and the technical alpha, is TCP / IP support. It allowed peer-to-peer connections in the 2000 version, as opposed to using the studio's servers, but Blizzard "learned that this functionality was enabling significant security-related issues to our game."

"We're aware that removing this feature adds a large hurdle for talented multiplayer modders in our community. Still, our priority is to keep this game's ecosystem as secure as possible for all of our players."

Blizzard stresses that forms of multiplayer modding will still be available, including the ability to modify specific files; you'll still be able to adjust values of skills, items, and more.

Diablo 2: Resurrected is the first major release from Blizzard since the sexual harassment and gender discrimination lawsuit against parent Activision Blizzard that led to several employees, including president J. Allen Brack, leaving the company. We recently heard that mobile spin-off Diablo Immortal has been delayed until the first half of 2022, while Diablo 4 isn't expected to land until next year at the earliest.

Permalink to story.

The old version graphic has better contrast. Reds are deep reds... colors are deeps. The newers version colours are shallow. I dislike it.
In the character selection, the older barbarian really looks upset when he roar. The newer one looks fake... is he trying to spit on the air, maybe ? The face of the amazon and the wizard looks... ugly, and fat. Bah, personally im a bit disappointed by the remastered graphics, except for the animation of the character when they walk and move around in game.
... Anyway it costs too much

In any case, I don't care much for 21:9, but I do care for:

- TCP/IP
- cross-play
- keyboard + mouse on consoles

None of them are present.

LOL. Meanwhile on a old CD-ROM retail version patched with D2MultiRes (link)...

Edit: I'm quite surprised at Blizzard devs lack of support for 21:9. I mean "Don't you guys have phones"? They haven't been 16:9 for a while now... ;)

Last edited:
Sounds like they coded the game to cover a fixed field of view and rather than fix it they just removed ultra monitor support...

I find it odd that they could solve the issue of moving from 4:3 to 16:9, but not 21:9.

In other words, what a lame excuse. If it "breaks" the game, then maybe fix the game, instead of removing the feature.

Yeah, agreed. I finished the 1st two acts that were in the beta on an ultrawide screen, and to be honest the bars on the side weren't too distracting, but I would not want them to decide that the 19:9 (or heck even 16:9) views are also game breaking. Surely there can be a proper fix for this.

Nobody should expect otherwise, after the mess blizzard made of the warcraft 3 remaster, ignoring fans for diablo mobile, and embracing current day identity politics and defending china. Diablo 1 is on GoG and diablo II is trivial to pirate these days. Dont support blizzard, let them and activision burn.

LOL. Meanwhile on a old CD-ROM retail version patched with D2MultiRes (link)...

Edit: I'm quite surprised at Blizzard devs lack of support for 21:9. I mean "Don't you guys have phones"? They haven't been 16:9 for a while now... ;)

That's a solid point lol. Most phones are 18:9 to 22:9 nowadays.

The old version graphic has better contrast. Reds are deep reds... colors are deeps. The newers version colours are shallow. I dislike it.
In the character selection, the older barbarian really looks upset when he roar. The newer one looks fake... is he trying to spit on the air, maybe ? The face of the amazon and the wizard looks... ugly, and fat. Bah, personally im a bit disappointed by the remastered graphics, except for the animation of the character when they walk and move around in game.
... Anyway it costs too much

Do you want me to buy it for you?..... The remaster is great, there was definitely a lot of work put into it, I think $40 it's a fair price

Kinda just makes me wanna load up the original and have an old school LAN party. Surge or bawls anyone??

I find it odd that they could solve the issue of moving from 4:3 to 16:9, but not 21:9.

In other words, what a lame excuse. If it "breaks" the game, then maybe fix the game, instead of removing the feature.

impossible to fix ? just think about it.
You have to maintain a certain size for characters and monsters on the screen to make it playable and enjoyable. That said, if you use a large monitor, you will see much more territory than other gamers. It means you will see monsters before the others, objectives before the others, and depending about how the spell works, you could hit monster from longer distances than other players. It would be a cheat.
How to fix? let you play with regular character/monster size like any other players, but let u see "black areas" on left and right side of your monitor. That is fair.

and about the ratios:
4:3 = 1.333
16:9 = 1.777
21:9 = 2.333
maybe the spell range was still okey to justify moving from 1.3 to 1.7... but too much for 2.3

Last edited:
Do you want me to buy it for you?..... The remaster is great, there was definitely a lot of work put into it, I think $40 it's a fair price
there was surely a lot of work put into it and I praise them for their work.
Still we are speaking about a 20ish year old game. Do you want to let players pay 40 euro for a 20ish year old game? too much. This they should have realize.

Who would even use such a wide monitor to play Diablo? Those monitors are simply missing 50% of the vertical space. Humans don't have a vision field like that. It may be good for flight simulations but not for much more.

Okay, maybe tank games. Assuming you're never driving the tank from 3rd person view. You have to be inside the tank at all times, watching the outside world through that slit in the armor.

Who would even use such a wide monitor to play Diablo? Those monitors are simply missing 50% of the vertical space. Humans don't have a vision field like that. It may be good for flight simulations but not for much more.

Okay, maybe tank games. Assuming you're never driving the tank from 3rd person view. You have to be inside the tank at all times, watching the outside world through that slit in the armor.

Oh you can benefit from 21:9 in much more than just that. FPS games in general, games like world of warships gives you an advantage with 21:9 to. I have had a 32" 21:9 few years back, deffo an advantage in a wide variety of games.

I don't get how it "breaks" 21:9.

I have a 34" LG UltraGear. The Witcher III and Dying Light plays at 21:9.
I'm sure someone more techie gets it, but wouldn't it be easy to fix?

Back