Blue screen + graphic freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, this is more of 2 issues, but since they started at about the same time, im sure they're somehow related. Every once in a while, if I'm either playing a game or watching videos (happens more with vids than games) I'll either get a sudden halt with a screen filled with what looks like the classic "snow" static, except its frozen and multicolored. Or, even when my computer isnt working hard, it will randomly go to blue screen and do a memory dump. It does this about once a week or so. I'm concerned since all this started right after I last updated my bios. I attached the most recent dump data.
Thx in advance.

The mods will most likely move your post to the BSOD sub-forum located in the Windows OS board.

Both errors are 0x124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred.

This is a very difficult error to deal with. The error code is the Vista equivalent to the older XP error code 0x0000009C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION and the definition is still usable:

This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

Your dumps did not provide a specific cause which I find is always the case with this error. So...

1. Do you only get these crashes from the behavior you describe or can it occur doing other things?

2. Check your video card fan to see if it is working properly.

3. The frozen multicolored sounds like artifacting and it is a major sign of a dying card.

4. Have you updated your video drivers since updating your BIOS?

1. I can be doing just about anything, but the majority of the problems come with videos.
2. Im not sure how to check that since im using a laptop.
4. Yes i recently updated my drivers. It has reduced the incidents of the graphic freeze, but not the blue screen.

Heat will cause issues most definitely. Keep in mind both video watching and especially gaming will increase the system load especially in the graphics and thus increas the heat.

Can you borrow a cooling pad for your laptop to see if by using it it stops the BSODs?

Well, there's the sad part. Im currently using one, and just had a BSOD today. When checking speedfan, even on the cooling pad, only my hard-drive is noticeably cooler. My core temp is still very warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back