Hi

Hope someone can help me.

I'm running:

Windows XP Home Edition
Service Pack 3
OS version 5.1 (2600)
RAM: 1.99
CPU Intel Celeron 3.06

Problem started when I plugged in a USB stick. Whilst watching a film from the stick the screen went blue, saying that there was either a recently installed software problem that should be uninstalled or a driver issue. It then ended with a physical dump error message.

Naturally I blamed the USB stick but just took it out - I'm not sure where to locate the files that enable that hardware to have been used in order to uninstall it. Suffice to say I don't have the stick (it wasn't mine) anymore.

Then I uninstalled software for a bluetooth dongle and the problem seemed to go away, but after a couple of months it's come back again. I have to say that the error messages have not always been identical but the last one said this;

BCCode : 19 BCP1 : 00000020 BCP2 : E17D2910 BCP3 : E17D2940
BCP4 : 0C060208 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 768_1

I was advised to start in safe mode, but it goes straight to a blue screen and tells me to run CHKDSK /F. I have done this on a few occasions (sometimes it automatically runs on restart after the blue screen crash) and on one of the scans I noticed it said NTFS system is dirty.

But the latest CHKDSK doesn't say that.

Also, the blue screen seems to happen whilst looking at web pages and sometimes the screen will go blank and a second later back to normal again - the same happens prior to a blue screen, a blank screen for a second.

Any help much appreciated as this is starting to be very disruptive.

Please go to Control Panel, Admin Tools, and to Event Viewer, and see what logs are being recorded about these crashes/errors. If you can provide details from those events with Event ID, it will be much more helpful in diagnosing what may be the issue.

Thanks.

do you mean this;

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000007e (0xc0000005, 0x80526f71, 0xba4e7c24, 0xba4e7920). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini020310-01.dmp.

my computer won't open the .dmp file from the location above?

Sorry just realised how to do this

attached is compressed file from events

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    152.2 KB · Views: 12
Well unfortunately I do not have minidump readers installed on any of my computers; however, I am planning to downlaod that soon. Anyway, I was referring to booting up; clicking on start, then going to control panel, in control panel look for administrative tools, then click on event viewer and carefully examine logs.

From the error code you gave me above; it is (according to MS) "SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED"
That mean:
i. indicates an unaligned data reference was encountered
ii. indicates a breakpoint or ASSERT was encountered when no kernel debugger was attached to the system.
iii. indicates a memory access violation occurred.

Basic Troubleshooting issues:
a. Make sure you have enough disk space. (on OS drive)
b. If a driver is identified in the bug check message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. (Event Viewer should help you here)
c. Hardware incompatibility. (have you installed anything new in your system?)
d. Faulty device driver or system service. A faulty device driver or system service might be responsible for this error. Hardware issues, such as BIOS incompatibilities, memory conflicts, and IRQ conflicts can also generate this error.

Thats the best I can do from the info i could extract from your post at this moment.

No, unless you download and install the correct symbols library from MS.

I'm downloading the whole stuff; and will try to give you feedback asap for me.

Ok, so here's the last five decoded dump files.

Thanks

Attachments

• dump1.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 5
  • dump2.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 4
  • dump3.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 1
  • dump4.txt
  • dump5.txt
I've gone through minidump/other sources you provided; and from that I suspect its your ram which is causing this BSOD. Now, if you have multiple modules in your system may be one of them is causing it. You can download memtest 4 from here. Also, here is an guide about how to run memtest.

Blue screen of death, PLEASE HELP ME 2!!!

I need some help please! Someone, Anyone!!!
My Dell dimension 3000, os windows xp home edition, was having this anti virus software pop up all of a sudden, it seemed like it was a virus b/c it was not original to windows. I could not delete it so I restored my computer to factory settings. the problem seemed to be gone, until the blue screen of death error occured. I just restarted the computer not paying much attention. windows started up fine the first time. then it asked to update at shutdown 1 of 26. It finished then the Blue screen of death started without let up. I cannot get past it. not even in safemode. it says check memory and update bios settings. the error is 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x8050FD91, 0xF896E50C, 0xF896E208) I cannot get past this error. I don't know what to do, please help.

I don't know if this will help but months ago i install 512 ram and removed my 256 original ram, but i did not have any problems from it. now i can't find the 256 ram i removed. could this be the problem?

Is there anyway i can just install another os on it the fix it some kind of way?

To check your ram you can use memtest and download it from the above link. necee; also it will be more appropriate to start your own thread.

thanks so much archean. but i don't know how to start a thread, can you please tell me? I tried and could not, i thought you had to be a member for a certain amount of time of something.

ps i cannot run any tests b/c i cannot get in windows at all. but thanks, i will start thread now. please tell me how.

I need some help please! Someone, Anyone!!!
My Dell dimension 3000, os windows xp home edition, was having this anti virus software pop up all of a sudden, it seemed like it was a virus b/c it was not original to windows. I could not delete it so I restored my computer to factory settings. the problem seemed to be gone, until the blue screen of death error occured. I just restarted the computer not paying much attention. windows started up fine the first time. then it asked to update at shutdown 1 of 26. It finished then the Blue screen of death started without let up. I cannot get past it. not even in safemode. it says check memory and update bios settings. the error is 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x8050FD91, 0xF896E50C, 0xF896E208) I cannot get past this error. I don't know what to do, please help.

I don't know if this will help but months ago i install 512 ram and removed my 256 original ram, but i did not have any problems from it. now i can't find the 256 ram i removed. could this be the problem?

Is there anyway i can just install another os on it the fix it some kind of way?

Its alright; you may have a look at this microsoft support article.

Can you try to boot into safe mode ? Also the specs of your Dell 3000 i was able to found said it had 512mb ram by the way.

they? there's more than one hijacker???

By the way, I have yet to test my memory with memtest - should i do it overnight? It's a long process, right?

thanks

H

ok. Think we can mark this one as solved.

before running memtest I was advised to look inside the computer and take out the Sticks of RAM and clean them - they were extremely dirty and I cleaned them by running them underneath the nozzle of the hoover.

All is working fine again now.

Thanks for your help Archean.

H

Hi, hope you are all well. I was hoping someone could help me.
My laptop starts up in safe mode fine and the functions allowed to work in safe mode seem to work fine. However when started up normally the BCOD appears or the laptop freezes either upon opening a web page or whilst intial programs are opening or just after. I have run chkdsk and sometimes it runs well and sometimes it fixes some errors. I also ran a defrag as advised in one of the introductory articles, C:windows defragged fine however the laptop froze upon attempting to defrag D drive partition. Attched are my dumps. Please help, thank you for your time

Attachments

• Mini021710-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini021810-01.dmp
  • Mini021810-02.dmp
Hello heat and welcome to the forums. FYI in the future you should really start your own thread because a) this belongs to the original poster and b) most people will think you are only answering the OP not realizing you need help.

Your issue appears to be as per your minidumps the driver PCTcore.sys which belongs to PC Tools. Try updating your drivers.

I would like to apologise to hetixo, sorry for posting in your thread and thank you for being understanding. I would also like to thank route44 for correcting me and for the assistance. Thank you route44 I managed to resolve the bsod by uninstalling spydoctor, i am now in search of the latest drivers thank you.

What can I say?

I have a hot thread-wagon that everyone wants to jump on!

I'm just happy to see my name up in lights near the top of that list for as long as possible! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back