Blue Screen of Death :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi there, i have seen lots of blue screens whilst playin world of warcraft.
it is usually IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. i checked for solutions, updated drivers and even got a friend to run Ram test which said everything was fine.
however the game kept crashing, and then said i had corrupt game files.
when i tried to reinstall WOW, i got a message saying that there could be a problem with my C:/.
after putting in the CD, to see if WOW worked with it in the CD drive i got a message something like PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
i have also had windows messenger, steam freezes/stop responding and internet explorer doesnt work on my user - i am admin.
my setup is:-
intel q6600 CPU
XFX 8800GT alpha dog
2GB OCZ enhaned banwith PC6400
ASUS P5N32-E SLI
Windows Vista Ultimate
i have also had trouble with updates, but i think this is a microsoft problem and not just my PC.

any help/advice and i would be extremely grateful - hopefully no windows reinstall :p

btw i am a bit of a PC noob

cheer john

0x0000004E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT -- This indicates that the memory management Page File Number list is corrupted. Can be caused by corrupt physical RAM, or by drivers passing bad memory descriptor lists.

* This error is a good indication that your issue is with corrupted memory.

Therefore, go to www.memtest.org and download their free utility that is used to test RAM. Either choose the floppy disk version or ISO to burn to a CD. After you get it on a floppy or CD...

1. Go into your BIOS which you can get to when you boot up and press the Del ket. If it gets to the Windows splash screen you will need to reboot and immediately start pressing the Del key.

2. Your BIOS screen will come up. Look for the boot sequence screen. You'll want to place either your floppy drive or your CD/DVD drive as first bootable. This means when the system starts up it can access where you placed MemTest.

3. Reboot with the floppy or CD already in place. The test will take over. This takes a long time and it needs to run through a minimum of 7 passes.

4. Any errors and you have RAM that needs to be replaced.

I also suggest you read the sticky here by Julio entitled "Before you post your minidumps..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back