Blue screen on XP setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Windows Xp Media Center / 64 bit

I am working on a Dell XPS 600. It belongs to a client of mine.
The client asked me to back up files, wipe the hard drive and then re-install the product.
The machine (according to the setup) is 64 bit processor.

They gave me all the disks they had that came with the machine and so I did what they asked me to do.

The o/s disk gets all the way thru the installation and then when it tries to boot to windows I get the blue screen...then the option window of 'last known.... 'safe mode....
nothing works.

I am at a loss as to what to do.

HELP!

Many things can cause the BSOD. Knowing the exact error is critical so we have something to work with. If you can't disable the auto-reboot with the BSOD, so you can see the error, then shutdown the machine, take out all unnecessary hardware (add-in cards, mainly), disconnect any USB devices and redo the install.

Normally BSOD happens due to a hardware conflict. So first all of check if any of your hardware is in a good state and that they are well connected.

Also have you put a new hardware recently on you PC?

Hi,
thanx for responding. The only thing I have changed is an adapter for the monitor.
I placed an adapter on the port for the monitor because the client has the newer technology and I do not. I wanted to be able to use my monitor (CRT) with the old VGA connector.

Could that be the culprit?

Normally it should work normally as it is not a peripheral but just an adapter but try to put it as normal. Also try to check every peripheral inside as if you client move the PC maybe one of them may have been damage.

Make sure there is no card reader installed. They will cause problems during install. Also make sure there is no usb devices such as printers connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back