Blue Screen problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gouge

Hi,

I have recently been getting the dreaded Blue Screen. It has occurred virtually every week for the past 4 weeks.

I have attached the recent Minidump files.

Please help me identify what is causing this.

Do you need any further info?

Thanks

Attachments

• Mini041610-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini042010-01.dmp
  • Mini042710-01.dmp
Your issue is with the Nvidia display driver nv4_disp.dll We see this display driver a lot here as causing issues and a driver update usually clears up the problem.

I suggest doing the following...

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper (both have free versions; make sure the version will work with your OS) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper. If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

Thanks for the advice. I'll create a new restore point first then do as you suggest.

I'll keep you posted with how I get on.

Thanks again.

I followed the sequence you suggested and installed the new drivers successfully.

BTW I couldn't find any free versions of Driver Cleaner Pro nor Driver Sweeper, so I bought Driver Cleaner Pro. It was only $9.99 so didn't need a 2nd mortgage!!

Thanks again for your help.

Just when I thought all was going ok, I've had another blue screen.

When I first booted up this morning, nothing worked. I assumed that something hadn't loaded correctly so I shut down and re-booted.

I ran my ESET NOD32 to ensure that there were no nasties lurking, but suddenly got a blue screen.

Error codes included: 0x8054AFD2, 0xB2A35514

I've attached the Minidump file.

Can someone please advise me on what to do?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Mini050810-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 2
I run NOD32; excellent antivirus. Anyway, your error is 0x8E and these are almost always caused by hardware, are a strong indicator that corrupted memory might be the issue, though sometimes this error can be generated by faulty drivers.

It only cites a Windows OS driver which isn't any help. Do you know how to run memtest on your RAM?

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed but either one should work. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1 - Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 – Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results

I ran memtest overnight. It did 20 passess with no errors - pretty conclusive.

If it is a driver causing the problem, it isn't the graphics card now - I've checked and it's up to date.

What else can it be?

I got the PC with graphics card installed in December 2008. It has only just started to go wrong.

Are there any other possibilities?

I thought everything was going ok until I got a blue screen at startup this morning.:mad:

I had the following error codes:
BCCode : 1000008e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 : 805C1A88 BCP3 : B28D8A48
BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1

I've also included the Minidump.

Do you know what has caused it this time?

Cheers!

Attachments

• Mini052410-01.dmp
Your error is 0x8E which I defined in a previous post but unfortunately it only cited a Windows OS driver as the probable cause and OS drivers are too general to be of much use.

Have you tried a Windows Repair at any time?

No, I've never had the need to.

I've stayed with XP SP2 as SP3 is reported to cause problems with some music programs.

While searching through all installed devices to try to locate the problem, I've come across one possibility. My DVD/CD drive was showing as a JMicron JMB368 SCSI/RAID Controller. I had a problem a few months ago where the DVD drive wasn't recognised. A few re-boots seemed to solve it. I tried to update the drivers, but the installation couldn't find a JMicron Controller to update!! :suspiciou

Looking at another forum (sorry!!) I found someone with the same problem. The solution given was:

In "Device Mgr" got to the "Scsi / Raid Controllers" icon. Look for JMicron and "right click" then "click" "update driver". Select "No, not at this time" and click "Next." Then select "Install from specific location" and click "Next." Now select "Don't Search , I'll choose driver to install from a list." You will now see two (2) options. "JMicron JMB36X controller" and "Standard dual channel PCI / IDE controller." Select the "Standard dual channel PCI / IDE controller" and click "Next" to allow the computer to do the rest. When finished go to "Add / Remove programs and "Remove" anything JMicron that's in there. You don't need to reboot. Now go back and see if all is well. Good Luck. Worked for me because the JMicron drivers are cr**.

Here is the link to the thread:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us

Anyway, I followed the solution and everything seems to work ok. :)

Could this have been the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back