Blue Tiger unveils world's first solar-powered headset

Daniel Sims

Staff
Something to look forward to: Blue Tiger recently unveiled a headset that uses solar power for unlimited use without needing conventional charging. The company positions it as a high-grade headset for on-the-go use. It garnered some notice at CES 2022 this week and is set to launch this spring, though with no word on pricing.

Blue Tiger’s Solare headset uses a Powerfoyle solar cell headband to stay continually charged under indoor and outdoor lighting. Blue Tiger designed it for constant use while driving.

According to Exeger, Urbanista and Adidas also have solar-powered headphones that use its Powerfoyle technology. Cycling apparel company POC uses Powerfoyle for the solar-powered integrated lights in its bicycle helmet as well.

The Solare features 97 percent noise canceling, can operate at between minus-40 and 122 degrees Fahrenheit, and uses Bluetooth 5.1 with a range of 300 feet. It’s compatible with Siri and Google Assistant. Blue Tiger also claims the headset meets the MIL-STD-810 military specification for ruggedness in extreme environments, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it has gone through actual military testing.

The CES 2022 Innovation Awards recognized Solare as an honoree, calling it a military-grade headset running on sustainable energy. Other honorees include AMD’s Ryzen 6000 series mobile CPUs, an autonomous drone for taking selfies, some of LG’s new TVs, a vehicle passenger vital sign sensor, a reading lamp designed to help people with dyslexia, and many more.

Permalink to story.

This is stupid. What if I want to use it in the dark?
You tape a flashlight over the solar cells. Don't you know anything?

So what if you have to buy those nasty alkaline batteries for the flashlight. I'm sure, (with the prices of those things these days), you'll easily be able to have the solar cells in the headset offset the cost of the batteries.

Screw my sucky Klipsch towers. I want, no, I verily NEED.two pairs of these things..(y) (Y)

Or you just bring it outside every time you need to recharge for the convenient 11 hours or for a quick charge for 7 hours to 50%

I wouldn't consider these for gaming or music. For one these are not stereo which you would want in gaming or music. There are however dozens of other uses. Nearly all of them would be a perfect fit for these.

Or you just bring it outside every time you need to recharge for the convenient 11 hours or for a quick charge for 7 hours to 50%
Here's the thing, the sun's UV rays are a b!tch..So, if you continually pitch these things out the door to charge in the sun, I can almost guarantee you, it will shorten the life of the product, as compared to a set of phones kept inside under controlled conditions. Pretty much all synthetic materials are susceptible to UV damage. I seriously doubt whatever these are made of is the exception to that rule.

Then there's the heat,, a black surface might hit 130 F on a bright day..

Fun fact: The clear coat on your car, has a UV blocking agent in it. Its purpose is an attempt to prevent the car's color coat from fading.

Bottom line, I think these are a gimmick, nothing more.

But then, as I so often like to point out, I'm an old fart, so what the hell do I know?

Back