BMW's new i7 xDrive 60 electric flagship features a 31-inch 8K screen

Tudor Cibean

Staff
The big picture: While not everyone can afford to spend six figures on a luxury car, these vehicles often showcase technology that will arrive in models with saner pricing in a few years. BMW's new i7 xDrive 60 is about as high-tech as cars get right now.

BMW has just announced its first all-electric luxury sedan, the i7 xDrive 60. It's built using BMW's CLAR platform, which means the i7 can be produced on the same manufacturing line as its ICE and PHEV siblings. The downside to that is that this EV doesn't have a frunk.

The pair of electric motors powering the i7, which provide torque-vectoring all-wheel drive, combine for a power output of 536 horsepower and 549 lb-ft of torque, allowing it to accelerate from 0-60 mph in 4.5 seconds and have a top speed of 149 mph.

The i7 has a total battery capacity of 107.8 kWh, of which 101.7 kWh is usable. BMW estimates that this will give it an EPA-rated driving range of 300 miles. Charging is done at up to 11kW AC, which should replenish a fully-depleted battery in 10.5 hours, or at up to 195 kW at a DC fast-charging station, which allows it to recoup 80 miles of range in just ten minutes.

Optionally, you can get automatic doors that open and close at the push of a button. Front passengers have access to an Interaction Bar integrated into the dashboard, which combines ambient lighting effects with digital controls for air conditioning. There are also two screens in the front: a 12.3-inch instrument cluster display and a 14.9-inch central screen used for infotainment.

LED lights adorn the glass sunroof, being used to display different accents. Back passengers can control cabin functions from the 5.5-inch touchscreens embedded into the rear doors. If you add the Theather Screen option, you get a massive 31-inch 8K widescreen display with built-in Amazon Fire TV so you can enjoy movies on the go. You can pair this with a 36-speaker Bowers & Wilkins surround sound system for a cinema-like experience.

The 2023 BMW i7 xDrive 60 will start shipping near the end of the year, with the base model costing a whopping $120,295.

Permalink to story.

When Audi replaced all buttons with touch-screens, people said they lost their marbles. Then the new Mercedes S-class replaced all physical buttons with one screen, and people say they hate it for it, as the audience wants simple physical buttons.

And yet, despite all that, everyone just keeps getting on board with that. I think the whole industry has lost its mind. All the while we get fined heavily, if caught using a mobile phone while driving, but fear not, we've got the entire car now as distracting as a mobile phone. This is border-line idi0tic.

I was praising BMW 5+7 series for not having done that crap, until today that is.

This will be the future for our cars, whether they stay using some kind of fuel or electricity - we'll be using so many device in it we'll just be guzzling fuel or burning through that electricity:

Seems like an extreme measure just to get the kids to stop saying "are we there yet". Then again, I do not have any kids. ;)

Aside from that, I have to wonder how many miles are subtracted from the range of the vehicle when this "display" is active.

When Audi replaced all buttons with touch-screens, people said they lost their marbles. Then the new Mercedes S-class replaced all physical buttons with one screen, and people say they hate it for it, as the audience wants simple physical buttons.

And yet, despite all that, everyone just keeps getting on board with that. I think the whole industry has lost its mind. All the while we get fined heavily, if caught using a mobile phone while driving, but fear not, we've got the entire car now as distracting as a mobile phone. This is border-line idi0tic.

I was praising BMW 5+7 series for not having done that crap, until today that is.
;)

I prefer buttons/knobs. For me, driving down the highway, it's easier to feel my way around for a button/knob, than to take my eyes off the road, to look at a display screen and accurately place my finger on the screen to get it to do something.

Oh look, another styling abomination from BMW. Entirely lost the plot. To think Bangle's designs now look like works of art compared to these monstrosities.

Aside from that, I have to wonder how many miles are subtracted from the range of the vehicle when this "display" is active.
It never ceases to amaze me how little people understand electricity in this modern age. To answer your question, I'd estimate less than 3 miles.

It never ceases to amaze me how little people understand electricity in this modern age. To answer your question, I'd estimate less than 3 miles.
:rolleyes: It surprises me how many people have little understanding of electricity that actually think they understand electricity. So that's what 3mi/minute of use, hour, second?? What about if someone decides to park and watch a few movies??

Ah, but what the heck? You're the expert!

Personally, I don't need this crap in a vehicle. IF the vehicle were to be fully self-driving, I think I would prefer to read a book.

:rolleyes: It surprises me how many people have little understanding of electricity that actually think they understand electricity. So that's what 3mi/minute of use, hour, second?? What about if someone decides to park and watch a few movies??

Ah, but what the heck? You're the expert!

Personally, I don't need this crap in a vehicle. IF the vehicle were to be fully self-driving, I think I would prefer to read a book.
ROFL, you asked about the RANGE, hence I answered with the effect on the RANGE.
But your point about parking up is noted, I didn't consider that.

Back