BOE unveils 27-inch gaming monitor with blisteringly fast 500Hz refresh rate

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Monitor refresh rates have been increasing over the years, to the point where some displays are able to hit 360Hz. But those products pale in comparison to what BOE has just built: the world’s first 500Hz gaming monitor.

BOE has announced a 27-inch 1080p gaming monitor. That wouldn’t usually attract much attention, but its 500Hz refresh rate makes it a world’s first. The panel achieves that blistering speed through a high-mobility oxide backplane.

The monitor’s other specs include a 1ms response time, support for an 8-lane eDP connection, and a true 8-bit color gamut. It appears to still be in the prototype stage, so we could be waiting a while before it hits the market.

A 500Hz monitor will likely be aimed at eSports players and pros who can gain advantages using fast refresh rates. But even with the less-demanding games within the eSports category, it’s going to need a PC with a beefy graphics card to hit those massive framerates—something that isn’t easy to find these days without paying a fortune, usually on eBay.

The 500Hz monitor wasn’t the only product BOE announced. It also revealed a 110-inch 120Hz panel with an 8K resolution that combines a speedy refresh rate and incredibly high resolution.

We heard back in July last year that AU Optronics and LG Display are both working on their 480Hz LCD panels—the former also has plans for 1440p@360Hz and 4K@240Hz panels. LG’s 480Hz/1080p monitor is expected to be available in a 24.5-inch size only, at least initially, and go into production later this year.

Permalink to story.

While I have no interest in a 500Hz monitor, I am intrigued by the 110" one... the more companies that release them, the cheaper they will get (I hope)...

Looking to get a "huge" TV in a few years for our basement to replace the 85" one I am using now...

When is this bullcr@p gonna stop? Give us a 2160p @ 120 Hz capable GPU first.
Well, if you are going to play a less demanding title - or turn the details down a bit... today's video cards CAN give you 4K@120Hz...

Honestly, I see nothing wrong with 60Hz... I don't bother playing 1st person shooters so I don't need crazy FPS...

Well, if you are going to play a less demanding title - or turn the details down a bit... today's video cards CAN give you 4K@120Hz...

Honestly, I see nothing wrong with 60Hz... I don't bother playing 1st person shooters so I don't need crazy FPS...

60hz is now retro.

Do you play anything that has need for smooth animation or where the screen pans? If not, then you probably don't need a separate graphics card in the first place.

60hz is now retro.

Do you play anything that has need for smooth animation or where the screen pans? If not, then you probably don't need a separate graphics card in the first place.
I do... but again... 60Hz is perfectly fine.... my eyes aren't as sharp as many I suppose - but I can barely see the difference between 4k @ 60Hz and 4K @ 120Hz...

I do... but again... 60Hz is perfectly fine.... my eyes aren't as sharp as many I suppose - but I can barely see the difference between 4k @ 60Hz and 4K @ 120Hz...
I'm 65, in 2013 when I was 56 my eyes were getting sore when I was playing and I saw a Asus 120hz monitor for sale so bought it and when I set it up started playing love the monitor a week went by when I suddenly realised my eyes weren't hurting I have never gone back to 60hz again my monitor now is a 34 inch 1440p 144hz Gigabyte ultrawide and I love it.

I'm 65, in 2013 when I was 56 my eyes were getting sore when I was playing and I saw a Asus 120hz monitor for sale so bought it and when I set it up started playing love the monitor a week went by when I suddenly realised my eyes weren't hurting I have never gone back to 60hz again my monitor now is a 34 inch 1440p 144hz Gigabyte ultrawide and I love it.
I'm intrigued... what do you play on it? I will eventually be buying a monitor... I currently have the Dell UP3216Q and love it... I have never really used a 120Hz (or faster) monitor for more than a few minutes at a time at friends and relatives...

I'm intrigued... what do you play on it? I will eventually be buying a monitor... I currently have the Dell UP3216Q and love it... I have never really used a 120Hz (or faster) monitor for more than a few minutes at a time at friends and relatives...
I play Shadow of the tomb raider Horizon Zero Dawn Mass Effect legendary edition Forza Horizon 5 and others fast refresh rate is fantastic.

I play Shadow of the tomb raider Horizon Zero Dawn Mass Effect legendary edition Forza Horizon 5 and others fast refresh rate is fantastic.
Yeah... I don't have the reflexes for those types of games any more... I play turn-based games like Civilization.... and movies don't really require 120Hz screens...

Back