Boosting wifi signal

Hi guys, I have a Cisco dual band wireless router that I previously bought to cater for my house network to support older device that runs on wireless G and new devices that runs wireless N.
One set to N only on 5Ghz
Another set to Mix mode on 2.4Ghz

Now that all my older devices has all being replaced with devices that supports wireless N.
If I disable one band, and enable only one, the N-only mode on 5Ghz. Will it help boost the signal or network in any way? If not, is there anything that I can do to fully utilize the dual band capability of the router since that now I do not need to run dual band.

Thanks. (Sorry if my questions sounds stupid, I'm not so good in this tech stuff)

No, your question is valid 100%, it isnt stupid. The only downside about 5GHz, is its range. The 2.4GHz band has been around longer and the 5GHz one is still an emerging technology. I had a dual band router in the past before I switched to an ISP that forces their own router on your, and I noticed no noticeable difference in performance. The 2.4GHz is fine for any average user. I would distribute the more heavily used to devices to the 2.4GHz band since it is more consistant. the 5GHz band can be used for any device that is connection heavy (Skype calling, etc.). Keep in mind though, a lot of computers and devices still dont support the 5GHz band, you will notice this when you search for routers/connections on your devices.

JC713 is spot on. While there would be far less interference on the 5GB band due to fewer users, the range is somewhat limited (it's due to wave propagation at twice the frequency of the 2.4gb).

For spanning distances from the modem to the far end of the building, an EoP device can get Ethernet into a remote room w/o physical Ethernet cables and from there you can install an additional router (running as an Access Point) to provide WiFi from that location.

Thanks for the useful reply guys.

Lets assume ;
distance is not a issue, all devices are within required range.
Speed beyond my local network is not a issue.
5ghz support is not issue, all devices are new and support wireless-n 5Ghz.

So back to my question, will disabling one of the band increase the local wireless network signal or help boost the file transfer speed within my local network any better?

Put it simply, since I'm now no longer need dual band, should I turn off one band so that I can get some sort of performance boost slightly or just leave it running on dual band if it doesn't make any different.

Thanks again guys

So back to my question, will disabling one of the band increase the local wireless network signal or help boost the file transfer speed within my local network any better?
not one iota, sorry.

Turning off the band wont do anything really. Maybe less interference, but it will provide no noticeable benefits. I think you should keep it and just use a few (1-3) PCs/devices on it.

Like jc713 said, there would be no benefit to disabling it. The only situation I would see that making a difference is if something was still on the old network. Personally, I would keep it in case something old needed it. But that's just me.

Back